Rockwell family of six displaced following early morning fire

Published 5:00 pm Thursday, May 10, 2018

By Shavonne Walker

ROCKWELL — A family of six was displaced by an early-morning fire at a Rockwell mobile home. Officials say the fire was sparked by a light fixture on the back porch.

The fire woke the family and, about the same time, a garbage collector spotted the fire. He called 911, Fire Division Chief Deborah Horne said.

She said local fire crews arrived fairly quickly and were able to extinguish the fire, which did not spread beyond the back part of the home. The home is at 205 Sternbridge Drive, off Organ Church Road.

The fire was discovered at 4 a.m. and was under control within 15 to 30 minutes, Horne said.

Everyone was able to get out of the home without injuries.

“You have about three minutes to get out of a mobile home, and this family was able to get out and the fire department got there quickly and got a good hit on the fire,” Horne said.

Horne said a fire engineer is checking on the wiring of the light fixture to determine a specific cause.

The family includes two adults and four children ages 1 month to 11 years, said Daniel Michael, disaster action team coordinator with the Red Cross.

Michael said that although the fire damage was contained to the back of the house and the residents was able to save their belongings, the home is not habitable.

The most damage was to the kitchen. Michael said the family’s clothing, bedding and furniture have smoke damage but was otherwise untouched by fire.

The rental home can be repaired. He indicated someone in the family used a hose to douse the fire before firefighters arrived.

One child undergoes albuterol treatments, and the Red Cross was able to assist the family to get replacement treatments.

The following agencies responded: Rockwell Rural, Rockwell City, Faith, South Salisbury, Bostian Heights and Gold Hill fire departments; American Red Cross; and Rowan County Fire Marshal’s Office.

Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.