Support Groups May 2018
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, May 8, 2018
– Celebrate Recovery, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Christ-centered 12-step program for alcoholism, co-dependency, grief, divorce, sexual abuse, domestic violence, drug, sexual, food, gambling addictions. Trading Ford Baptist Church, 3600 Long Ferry Road. 704-637-7523 or 704-633-5986.
– Celebrate Recovery, 5:30 p.m. Thursdays. Christ-centered program for alcoholism, co-dependency, grief, divorce, sexual abuse, domestic violence, drug, sexual, food, gambling addictions. World Hope Worship Center, 2203 Mooresville Road, 704-202-7883.
– Faith based addictions program, 7 p.m. every Friday, Faith Baptist Church, 904 Chipola St. For transportation call 704-791-5987. Nursery, kidz club, teen program, adult program.
7 p.m. every Friday, Tabernacle Baptist Church, 2515 E. Innes St. For transportation call 704-232-9130. Nursery, kidz club, teen program, adult program.
– Narconon, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. seven days a week. Nonprofit organization to helping those with drug addictions, provides addiction help through consultation. 1-800-556-8885.
– Overcomers in Christ, 7 p.m. Mondays. Jericho Outreach addiction recovery program. Grace Bible Church, 6725 E. NC 152, Rockwell. 704-279-6820 or Overcomersinchrist@yahoo.com. Also, 7 p.m. Wednesdays, Rockwell Public Library basement. 704-213-6712.
– Recovery Anonymous, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Sundays. For anyone affected by the disease of chemical dependency. Suite 211, Kent Building, 909 S. Main St. 704-637-0052.
– Narcotics Anonymous:
O=open • C=closed • D=discussion • AF= alternating format • WA or 1/2WA=wheelchair accessible • CL=candlelight meeting • BS=basic text study • LS=literature study • All meetings are nonsmoking
—Sunday: 6:30 p.m., Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA.
—Monday: Noon, Omega Group step study, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA • 7:30 p.m. Happy Joyous & Free, First United Methodist Church, 209 E. Mill St., Landis, OD WA.
—Tuesday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church,1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA • Noon, Embracing Reality, First Presbyterian Church, 201 Vance St., Kannapolis, AF WA • 6:30 p.m. Omega Group, Gethsemane Baptist Church, 719 Caldwell St., BS WA • 7:30 p.m. Free to Live, New Hope Lutheran Church, 1615 Brantley Road, Kannapolis, OD BS.
—Wednesday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church,1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, OD AF WA • 7 p.m. Omega Group, Moore’s Chapel, Monroe and Partee streets, OD.
—Thursday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills. LS AF WA • Noon, Embracing Reality, First Presbyterian Church, 201 Vance St. Kannapolis, O WA • 7 p.m. Omega Group, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 201 W. Council St., CD LS WA enter at Boy Scout Hut.
—Friday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA, spiritual discussion • 7 p.m. Omega Group, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 131 W. Council St., AF • 8 p.m., Free to Live, New Hope Lutheran Church, 1615 Brantley Road, Kannapolis, OD AF.
—Saturday: 7 p.m., Omega Group, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 201 W. Council St., enter at Boy Scout Hut, OD WA .
Narcotics Anonymous Helpline, 704-640-6488.
Alternative: Narconon, 800-431-1754 or DrugAbuseSolution.com
– Rowan Alzheimer’s’ Support, 5:30-7 p.m. fourth Thursdays except November and December, at Trinity Oaks. 728 Klumac Road. Teresa Dakins, Deborah Tillman 704-603-2776.
– Alzheimer’s/other dementias support, 6:30 p.m. third Thursdays. Horizon Bay Assisted Living of Concord, 1501 Zion Church Road E., Concord. For families dealing with Alzheimer’s or other dementias. 704-782-1100.
– John Miller colon cancer support. Info: Eva White,704-431-6237.
– Living In Pink breast cancer support, 6 p.m. first Thursdays except July. Maupin Ave. Presbyterian Church, 100 Maupin Ave.(corner of Fulton St.) downstairs fellowship hall. Rebecca H. Smith 704-210-6870; Vicki Rhyne 704-640-8088; Jennifer Overcash 704-855-3372.
– Celebration of Life for breast cancer survivors, 1 p.m. second Mondays. Call for location. Also an active Relay For Life team. email@example.com or 980-234-4479.
– Cancer support group at Lake Norman Regional Medical Center (Mooresville), 11:45 a.m. second Tuesdays, open to everyone, no registration. Free lunch served. 704-660-4859, or Mitzie.McCurdy@lnrmc.com
Diseases, Disorders and Conditions
– Autism Society of NC, Rowan chapter, Partners in Learning Child Development Center at Catawba College. 704-638-9020 for dates and times of meetings.
– Rowan County Chapter of Autism Society of NC, 6:30 p.m. third Tuesdays. FirstUMC, Room 108, 217 S. Church St. Childcare is not provided. Contact Nancy Popkin firstname.lastname@example.org
– Rowan County Autism Support Group, third Tuesdays, 6:30-8 p.m. First United Methodist Church room 108, 217 S. Church St., enter on Church Street side through doors at right of courtyard. 704- 603-4919.
– Bariatric support, first Tuesdays, 7-8 p.m. Classroom A2A Novant Health Rowan Medical Center. Fellowship, nutrition education, exercise, lifestyle changes, behavioral modification. Free. Suzie Dinse, RN, 704-210-5474.
– Cardiac support, 7 p.m. third Tuesdays in Feb., June, Oct. Cardiac Rehabilitation Wellness Center, second floor Kiser Medical Building, Novant Health Rowan Medical Center. 704-210-5412.
– Celiac support at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center. Anna DeBoyace, RD, 704-210-5240.
– Diabetes support, 7-8:30 p.m. first Mondays. Faith Baptist Church fellowship hall. Refreshments. Group leader Freda Horne RN, 704-279-2463.
– Diabetes support, Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, noon-1 p.m. fourth Mondays. Burlington Room, Charles Mack Citizens Center, Mooresville. Free. 704-660-4859.
– Dialysis support group: Education, networking, and practical and social support for people on dialysis and their families. Contact Caroline Johnsen for further information at 704-637-2107.
– Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue support of Denton, 6 p.m. first Thursdays. Expanded to include all chronic illnesses such as RSD, migraine, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, anyone having to cope with pain in their lives. Central UMC, First St. in Denton. Addie Phillips, 336-859-9122, email@example.com
– Epilepsy support of Rowan/Cabarrus, 6-7:30 p.m. second Tuesdays. NorthEast Medical Center, Concord. Sara, 704-403-1986, Sarah.Powers@carolinashealthcare.org or Carole, 704-639-0847, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Lupus support, 3-4 p.m. second Wednesdays, J.F. Hurley YMCA, Jake Alexander Blvd.
– Lyme Disease Support, 3-5 p.m. first Sundays.St. John’s Lutheran Church, 200 W Innes St., Ed. Bldg room 218. Doug 704-785-5425 or Elizabeth 704-636-3190 or Facebook: Celebration of Hope Piedmont NC Lyme Disease Support Group
– Multiple Sclerosis self-help support group, 6:30 p.m. second Mondays excepat June-July-Aug. “Our Inspiration” for those newly diagnosed and/or with MS. J.F. Hurley YMCA, Jake Alexander Blvd., 704-798-3341, email@example.com
– Multiple Myeloma support of Salisbury/Rowan, 10:30 a.m.-noon, second Mondays, RPL Stanback Room. Barbara Barbour 704-762-9723 or firstname.lastname@example.org
– Parent-to-Parent support for parents of children with disabilities, chronic illnesses, emotional or behavioral challenges and parents of premature infants, through Family Support Network of Southern Piedmont. 1-800-650-6526 or 704- 788-1616.
– Rowan Parkinson’s support, 1 p.m., first Tuesdays. First Presbyterian Church, Fisher St. Peggy Wilson, 704-633-3181.
– Sarcoidosis support, 1-3 p.m. third Saturdays, Rowan Public Library. Share, learn, network for emotional and practical support. Delilah Blackwell, 704-638-0060, 704-797-6692, email@example.com
– Stroke support at Lake Norman Medical Center (Mooresville), 1:30-3 p.m. first Thursdays, War Memorial building, 220 N. Maple St. Free, open to everyone. 704-660-4859 or Mitzie.McCurdy@LNRMC.com
– TOPS means Take Off Pounds Sensibly: One hour support meetings, annual cost $28. www.tops.org/ or 1-800-YEA-TOPS. Local contact: Laura Wickwar, 919-621-3613, Laurasgw@gmail.com
Monday: Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 10 a.m. Betty Camerlin 704-856-0205;
Monday: Carillon Assisted Living, 1915 Mooresville Rd., Country Kitchen room, weigh-in 5:30 p.m., meeting 6 p.m. Maggie Musselwhite, 704-754-6158;
Tuesday: 795 Cannon St., Rockwell (fellowship building of Foursquare Church), weigh-in 5:30 p.m., meeting 6 p.m. Denise Jacobs, 704-279-5164, 704-642-6518, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday: Lane Street Baptist Church, 2532 Lane St., Kannapolis, weigh-in 9:30 a.m., meeting 10 a.m. Linda Ramsey, 704-938-3634.
Thursday: Ursinus United Church of Christ, 116 W. Main St., Rockwell, weigh-in 6 p.m., meeting 7 p.m. Mary Coburn, 704-970-7224.
– Caring Friends grief support for parents who have lost infants. Meets as needed. 704-636-7803 or 704-279-6279.
– Circle of Hope, 7-8:30 p.m. second Thursdays. For parents grieving the loss of a child. 2290 Statesville Blvd. Lori Yang, 704-630-0319.
– Coping with Grief group for anyone mourning the loss of a loved one. Call for current schedule. Rowan Regional Hospice, 704 637-7645.
– Rowan Hospice & Palliative CARE grief support. Monthly, day support groups from 1:30-2:30 p.m. Also, Spring and Fall evening 6-week support groups. Susanna Lund 704-637-7645 or 336-331-1348.
– TLC support for widows/widowers, third Wednesdays, Powles Funeral Home. Russ Roakes, 704-279-7241.
– Services for Women and children ages (age 5-12):
— Sexual Assault Group and HERO for children Tuesdays 5-6 p.m.
— Domestic Violence and HERO for children Thursdays 5-6:30 p.m.
— Call 704-636-4718 press 1 for information and questions.
– NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness), 7 p.m., first and third Tuesdays. For family, friends, individuals suffering with mental illness: support, education, advocacy. Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 1908 Statesville Blvd., pull around back. Peggy Mangold, 704-640-8811, email@example.com or Joyce Parra 704-645-1030.
– Rowan County Foster and Adoptive Parent Association, 6:30 p.m. second Mondays, Partners In Learning Center. 704-245-8055, ask for Jennifer.
– Rowan Brain Injury support, 7 p.m. fourth Thursdays. 108 Dorsett Drive off Statesville Blvd. To support people with acquired brain injury and/or TBI, their families, care givers or anyone interested. Nadine Cherry 980-622-7732, Mary Sechler 704-905-2353, The Arc of Rowan 704-637-1521.
– Straight Talk, for family/friends of those currently or formerly incarcerated. 7-8 p.m. every other week; St. Luke’s Episcopal Church parish hall, 131 W. Council St. www.straighttalksupportgroup.org or 704-633-3221.
– PFLAG (Parents, Friends and Families of Lesbians and Gays), 6 p.m. third Thursdays, Haven Lutheran Church, 207 W. Harrison St. 704-213-0181 or 704-640-2621, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Salisbury Mothers of Multiples, 6:30 p.m. third Thursdays. For families of twins, triplets and more. First UMC, N. Church St. Suzannah Callahan, 704-647-0445.
Listings based on last best information received. Confirm before attending.
To update, email email@example.com