Blotter: Salisbury man charged with stealing cosmetics, other items from Rite Aid
Published 12:00 am Friday, April 20, 2018
SALISBURY — A local man was charged with stealing feminine products, cosmetics and other items valued at more than $100 from a Rite Aid pharmacy after officers responded to a report of shots fired.
The Salisbury Police Department charged Willie James Collins Jr., 57, of the 500 block of Lafayette Circle, with misdemeanor larceny and misdemeanor resisting or obstructing an officer. He remains in the Rowan County jail under a $1,500 secured bond.
Officers responded to the 800 block of Fairmont Avenue and Grace Street and spotted Collins. They asked him if he had seen anyone or anything suspicious in the area.
Collins suddenly told officers he was leaving after they asked questions.
Officers searched the bag he had with him and found cosmetics, body spray, lotions, scented candles, cigarette lighters, shampoos and other items. Some of the products had Rite Aid printed on them.
Officers asked Rite Aid employees if someone had stolen items from the store and if they could check surveillance video. A video showed Collins in the store about 6:20 p.m. Officers noted in their report that they initiated contact with Collins at 6:37 p.m.
The total value of the stolen items was $173.24.
Collins is on a one-year probation for a March conviction on charges of larceny and possession of drug paraphernalia. He has a number of larceny convictions that date to 1981.
In other Salisbury police reports:
• Tilley Harley-Davidson reported Wednesday that someone cut the catalytic converters from a company van and truck that were parked in the business’ parking lot, 653 Bendix Drive.
• A woman reportedWednesday that someone used her credit card to pay a $80.82 AT&T phone bill.
• A man was injured Wednesday when he struck an exterior mirror of a car during an altercation with the driver at Bringle Ferry Road and North Shaver Street.
• A man reported his gun was either missing or stolen from his home in the 400 block of East Horah Street.
• A man on Wednesday reported a burglary in the 1300 block of Bringle Ferry Road.
• A woman reported Wednesday that her ex-boyfriend assaulted her, stole her cellphone and kept her from calling 911 while at Applebee’s restaurant, 205 Faith Road.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A man on Tuesday reported a vehicle break-in and a stolen handgun while in the 13700 block of U.S. 52, Gold Hill.
• A man on Tuesday reported a vehicle break-in in the 12900 block of U.S. 52, Gold Hill.
• A man on Tuesday said he was the victim of a domestic dispute at the intersection of Moss Springs Lane and Mooresville Road, Mount Ulla.
• Edward Gleen Horne, 63, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 300 block of Fletcher Road, Rockwell.
• Larry Eugene Willis, 71, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor hit-and-run in the 800 block of Newsome Road.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.