Fire officials say a belt sparked, ignited cotton bales at Gildan Yarns

Published 3:33 pm Thursday, April 12, 2018

SALISBURY — A belt sparked and ignited bales of cotton at Gildan Yarns early Thursday morning.

Multiple fire departments responded to the fire at the business, 2121 Heilig Road, about 5:15 a.m. The blaze was under control by 6:30 a.m., according to fire officials.

The two-alarm fire was contained to one building.

Fire Division Chief Deborah Horne said the fire was contained to the bales of cotton.

The building was evacuated for some time. No injuries were reported.

Another fire was reported at the plant on Saturday. No details were available about that incident.

Comments