Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. A new report published by NC Child says 55 percent of the children in Rowan County are living in poor or near poor homes, a major risk factor for negative education, health and economic outcomes. As alarming, what percentage of Rowan County children live in food-insecure households, putting at risk their immediate health, safety and ability to learn?
A. 8.5 percent
B. 13.3 percent
C. 17.6 percent
D. 23.9 percent
2. Sam Foust retired this past week as executive director of what housing agency?
A. Habitat for Humanity
B. Rowan County Housing Authority
C. Salisbury Housing Authority
D. Salisbury Community Development Corp.
3. Cube Yadkin Generation, the new owners of the dams along the Yadkin River that include High Rock, Tuckertown and Badin, has asked the N.C. Utilities Commission to do what?
A. Officially declare it owner of the land underneath the water of the various lakes, including High Rock Lake
B. Give it authority to establish a new shoreline management plan to govern the size and scope of piers on the lakes
C. Allow it to build transmission towers in High Rock Lake and run high-voltage power lines across the water in three different spots
D. Force Duke Energy to buy the hydropower generated by the Yadkin dams.
4. Ann Miller, known for her talents as a cake decorator, made special Easter gifts for the children at Organ Lutheran Church this morning. What did kids at the children’s sermon receive?
A. Panoramic sugar eggs
B. Cakes shaped in a cross
C. Miniature cakes whose icing told the resurrection story
D. Cupcakes made from a 3,000-year-old recipe from Jerusalem
5. The city of Salisbury will have a May 8 referendum for voters to decide what?
A. Whether the city should go to a separate mayoral election
B. Whether Hotwire Communications should be allowed to take a long-term lease on the city’s fiber-optic utility, Fibrant
C. Whether a recreation bond package of $10 million for park improvements and a new downtown park should be OK’d
D. Whether the city should raise the purchase age for a gun to 21
6. What local manufacturing company announced last Tuesday it will be expanding its workforce by 100 jobs over three years and making a $9 million investment?
A. Hitachi Metals
B. New York Air Brake
C. Norandal USA
D. Carolina Color Corp.
7. A 30-day public comment period is nearing a close on a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs proposal to do what in connection with the Salisbury National Cemetery Annex (the cemetery next to Hefner VA Medical Center)?
A. Close it to any more burials
B. Accept a land donation of 35 acres, which will expand the cemetery’s life
C. Open a portion of the cemetery to allow burials of non-military veterans
D. Spend $30 million in a refurbishment of the cemetery
8. What Rowan County church has conducted a large-scale outdoor Easter drama for more than 50 years?
A. Third Creek Presbyterian Church
B. South River Methodist Church
C. Ebenezer Lutheran Church
D. Sacred Heart Catholic Church
9. An hourlong documentary with a panel discussion to follow, marking the 50th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther king Jr.’s assassination, is planned for Wednesday evening. Where will this event be held?
A. Hood Theological Seminary
B. Catawba College
C. Livingstone College
D. Salisbury Civic Center
10. Salisbury’s Mary Miller James had some special companions with her while attending the March for Our Lives protest in Washington, D.C. Who accompanied her?
A. Her son and his teenage friends
B. An English class of 21 students from Knox Middle School
C. Her sisters
D. Her brothers
CHINA GROVE — At the bottom of a grassy hillside on the eastern side of Ebenezer Lutheran Church, it plays out,... read more