Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Why were both Sandy and Casey Parsons in Rowan County Superior Court this past week?
A. For the start of their trial on first-degree murder charges, which allege they killed their daughter, Erica
B. For their first appearance in court on first-degree murder charges
C. For separate psychiatric evaluations, which had been requested by their Salisbury attorneys
D. Because of the local murder charges, they had to transfer their residence from federal prisons to the Rowan County Detention Center
2. Casey Parsons, the dead girl’s adoptive mother, came to Rowan County this week from a federal prison where?
A. Wheeling, West Virginia
B. Lansing, Michigan
C. Norfolk, Virginia
D. Tallahassee, Florida
3. Debbie Hamrick, director of specialty crops with the N.C. Farm Bureau, told a Rowan County Chamber of Commerce audience this past week that North Carolina’s population is growing while its farmland is diminishing. According to Hamrick, how much of the state is still considered farmland?
C. A third
D. A quarter
4. What Mel Brooks comedy is now playing at the Meroney Theater, thanks to Piedmont Players?
A. “Blazing Saddles”
B. “Robin Hood: Men in Tights”
C. “The Producers”
D. “High Anxiety”
5. Livingstone College has something new on its campus off West Monroe Street. What is it?
A. A new Blue Bear statue near the college entrance
B. A new student cafeteria
C. A school-sponsored fraternity for athletes
D. A radio station
6. As part of student walkouts nationwide in the aftermath of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, a group of about 40 North Rowan High students were disciplined for not accepting administrators’ offer to use the auditorium. They walked outside of the school instead. What was their punishment?
A. In-school suspension
C. Suspension from school for five days
D. They have to write at least a three-page paper on why the walkout was important to them
7. The Ninth Annual County Health Rankings, released this past week by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, reported Rowan County has improved in its health ranking since the 2017. Last year, Rowan ranked 73rd, judged on a variety of factors that improve both length and quality of life. What is Rowan’s new health ranking out of North Carolina’s 100 counties?
8. Women are the focal point of the first official art show for a Salisbury business. Where can you find this art exhibit for women, by women?
A. Morgan Ridge Railwalk Brewery & Eatery
B. Mean Mug Coffee Co.
C. Koco Java
D. Sidewalk Deli
9. “Palestine: Unlimited” is an art exhibit now on display in Peeler Hall at St. John’s Lutheran Church. Through what did the Palestinian artists express themselves in this exhibit?
B. Charcoal drawings
C. Oil paintings
10. Jim Sharkey, a Salisbury singer-songwriter who spent most of his youth in Ireland, was born somewhere else. Sharkey is a native of what country?
A. United States
SALISBURY — It was Raegan Lowder’s 15th birthday Friday, and she lived out every teenage daughter’s dream: She threw a pie... read more