Week in review: Test Your nose for local news
Published 12:00 am Sunday, March 4, 2018
1. When the filing period ended Wednesday for the 2018 elections, incumbents in four local offices discovered they will have no opposition. Which one of these current office holders will have a contested race this year?
A. State Rep. Harry Warren, R-Rowan
B. Rowan County Sheriff Kevin Auten
C. Rowan County Register of Deeds John Brindle
D. Rowan County District Attorney Brandy Cook
2. Which one of these Democrats or Republicans is not a candidate for the Rowan County Board of Commissioners in 2018.
A. Jim Sides
B. Mike Caskey
C. Latasha Wilks
D. Veleria Levy
3. “With this collection, you realize he was a wise and genuinely caring person,” Sandy Combs of Salisbury said about some 12,000 items related to her father’s life that were donated to the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. “There was no magic about it. He cared about all people regardless of background or status.” Who was Combs’ late father?
A. The Rev. Bill Graham
B. Past UNC President Bill Friday
C. UNC Basketball coach Dean Smith
D. Food Lion cofounder Ralph Ketner
4. Catawba College’s Brianna Gordon, Taylor Cielo, Cassie James, Jon Rife, Ethan Chiricio, Darin Spencer and Norris Feeney represented the school in a recent bowl competition sponsored by North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities. What bowl was it?
A. Math Bowl
B. Ethics Bowl
C. Quiz Bowl
D. History Bowl
5. This winningest coach in North Carolina baseball history, who has strong ties to Rowan and Stanly counties, celebrated his 99th birthday in February. Who is it?
A. Joe Ferebee
B. Sam Moir
C. Jack Kepley
D. Griggy Porter
6. In retirement, Reginald Brown has become a local historian dedicated to preserving some of the African-American history in Salisbury. Where did Brown teach math for 30 years before moving back to Salisbury?
A. Danville, Virginia
B. Athens, Ohio
C. Kalamazoo, Michigan
D. Hempstead, New York
7. How many times had the Department of Social Services investigated allegations of abuse by Sandy and Casey Parsons of their adopted child Erica Parsons before Erica was reported missing in 2013?
8. To this point, the 20 elementary schools in the Rowan-Salisbury system have never had one of these, but the Board of Education has discussed changing that. What might each school have in the future?
A. A chaplain
B. A nurse
C. A resource officer
D. A dean of students
9. Diane Gilmore is the first African American to hold this job in the city’s history. What position does Gilmore hold?
A. Finance director
B. City manager
C. City attorney
D. City clerk
10. Nick Means, a training and development officer with F&M Bank in Rowan County, is a member of the Catawba College Sports Hall of Fame. What sport did Means play?