Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Riley Costello, a high school sophomore from Warwick, Rhode Island, visited Salisbury this past week, sharing at the Salisbury Human Relations’ annual banquet a 10-minute video documentary she had produced. Who was the subject of Costello’s video?
A. Wiley Lash
B. Deedee Wright
C. Raemi Evans
D. Elizabeth Duncan Koontz
2. Who is the longtime leader of the Rowan County United Way who will be resigning, effective March 31?
A. Jackie Harris
B. Bob Lippard
C. Karen South Jones
D. Terry Osborne
3. A threat made on Facebook Wednesday evening that targeted a high school with the initials “SHS” turned out to be a school in another state. Still, it led first to a Code Yellow lockdown Thursday, which was soon upgraded to an even more secure lockdown. What color lockdown was Salisbury High under Thursday and Friday?
A. Code Red
B. Code Orange
C. Code Purple
D. Code Blue
4. Former Piedmont Airlines employees gathered at the N.C. Transportation Museum this past week to celebrate a milestone reunion. In what year did Piedmont, which was based in Winston-Salem, see its first departure flight (from Wilmington)?
5. “He was one of those individuals in my life when I was a teenager that helped me to understand what Christian faith meant. That really positioned me to her God’s call.” What local pastor said this after the death Wednesday of the Rev. Billy Graham?
A. The Rev. Rhodes Woolly
B. The Rev. Dr. Derrick R. Anderson
C. The Rev. Dr. Mark Conforti
D. Dr. Kenneth Lance
6. What festival, which proved to be popular in its first year, is coming back to Salisbury in May?
A. Big Slide Festival
B. Food Lion Feeds Festival
C. Cheerwine Festival
D. Hops and Chops Festival
7. Rowan County resident Susan Linza is holding a benefit sale March 8 for an ailing artist she befriended while on a cruise in 2016. On what Caribbean island does her artist friend, Giselle Vargas Melean, live?
8. “It’s haunted our county for several years now,” Rowan County Sheriff Kevin Auten said at a press conference last week. To what was he referring?
A. The opioid epidemic
B. The death of young A’yanna Allen
C. Gang violence
D. The disappearance and murder of Erica Parsons
9. The Rowan County Board of Commissioners was asked this past week to OK $80,000 toward an intense and targeted marketing campaign for the county that would be conducted mostly over social media. What organization made this request?
A. Convention and Visitors Bureau
B. Rowan County Chamber of Commerce
C. Growing Rowan
D. Rowan Museum Inc.
10. Livingstone College has received a $1 million endowed scholarship from the family of a former president of the college. The scholarship money will give financial assistance to students who have shown academic excellence in science, technology engineering and math disciplines. Who was this former president?
A. Catrelia Hunter
B. George Battle
C. Bernard Franklin
D. George Shipman
SPENCER — Welcome, Kayleigh. Kayleigh Anne Resino, the daughter of Heather and John Resino, was born at 10:36 a.m. Wednesday.... read more