East Rowan High School evacuated because of gas leak
GRANITE QUARRY — Students at East Rowan High School were evacuated to the school stadium after a gas leak was detected on school grounds.
Principal Tonya German sent out a Connect Ed message to parents Thursday morning explaining the situation.
Just after 8 a.m., staff members detected a gas leak outside the building.
“For the safety of our students and staff, we evacuated the building to the stadium while emergency management ensured the gas line was secure and all rooms within our building safe to return,” German said.
The school was declared safe at about 8:40 a.m., and German said classes resumed by 9:05 a.m.
In her message, German said she was proud of how students responded and listened to directions.
“I am proud of the great job everyone did in cooperating with staff and emergency personnel,” she said.