Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Lee Quinn, a 1996 graduate of North Rowan High and son of Chuck and Sandy Quinn of Rowan County, grabbed the championship this past week on the nationally syndicated game show “Jeopardy!” In what N.C. city has Lee been teaching since 2001?
2. How many days did students in Rowan-Salisbury Schools miss because of this past week’s snowfall?
A. One day, with delays on two days
B. Two days, with a delay on a third day
C. Three days
D. Four days
3. The U.S. Supreme Court made a decision this past week on North Carolina’s congressional districts. What did the Supreme Court decide?
A. That the Republican-led General Assembly of North Carolina will have to redraw the congressional districts before the May primary
B. That a possible redrawing of the congressional districts should be delayed until similarly challenged cases can be heard in Wisconsin and Maryland
C. That Democratic legislators be allowed to submit their own version of congressional district boundaries, so a compromise can be reached
D. That the Republican-drawn congressional districts in North Carolina do not show excessive partisanship and should be allowed
4. This past Wednesday, former U.S. Sen. Bob Dole, husband of Salisbury native Elizabeth Hanford Dole, was presented with a Congressional Gold Medal, the nation’s highest civilian honor. How old is the longtime senator from Kansas?
5. The Rowan County Board of Commissioners last week agreed to lease land — possibly for a new hangar — at Mid-Carolina Regional Airport to what group?
A. The N.C. National Guard
B. Food Lion
D. Rockwell Farms
6. After only two months in business, Albert Shinn has closed his South Main Street store in downtown Salisbury. What did the store sell?
7. Rowan County Emergency Services reported that at least 15 family pets died during the recent cold snap because of accidents involving these two items. What were they?
A. Wood stoves and fans
B. Electric blankets and candles
C. Heat lamps and extension cords
D. Power generators and spilled gasoline
8. Before deciding to talk more about it at an upcoming retreat, Salisbury City Council had a long discussion this past Tuesday about establishing a committee to tackle what?
A. Lagging Fibrant sales
B. Election reform
C. The Empire Hotel
D. Possible removal of the Confederate monument
9. Rowan County commissioners approved $100,000 in incentives for a potential company expansion in Rowan County that has been dubbed by economic developers as “Project Wheel.” In Rowan, the unnamed company looking to expand is considering two possible sites. Where are they?
A. Gateway Park or Spencer
B. The U.S. 29 Industrial Park or Rockwell
C. The N.C. 150 Industrial Park or Cleveland
D. The Summit Corporate Center or Granite Quarry
10. The Catawba Chiefs Club reached a “500” milestone this month. What does the 500 signify?
A. 500 members
B. 500 basketball wins since the club’s formation
C. 500 scholarships awarded
D. 500 football stadium seats bought by Chiefs Club members
SALISBURY — Chuck and Sandy Quinn have spent exciting, but nerve-wracking, nights in front of their television set the last... read more