Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Staff members of Rowan-Salisbury Schools reached into a dozen most-in-need neighborhoods Thursday to give away a considerable number of toys and a generous amount of food to children. Superintendent Dr. Lynn Moody said this first-ever Christmas giveaway by the school system’s staff was inspired by what?
A. Her experience earlier in the year on a Summer Feeding Program route
B. Teachers who came to Moody describing impoverished conditions many of their students are dealing with
C. A day she spent on a Meals on Wheels route
D. A dream she had at Thanksgiving
2. An architectural element central to a proposed facelift for Kannapolis’ center city will be what?
A. A neon-infused sculpture alluding to the big cannon that once stood outside of the Cannon Mills headquarters
B. A fountain archway allowing people to walk under threads of water
C. A bandstand gazebo made to look like a mill house
D. A 20-foot-high obelisk, sides of which tell the different parts of Kannapolis history
3. Since the early 1980s, what local American Legion post has been host of a Christmas program for children with disabilities?
A. The Harold B. Jarrett Post
B. the J.C. Price Post
C. The Samuel C. Hart Post
D. The Kennedy-Hall Post
4. What store captured the “Best Overall Display” in Salisbury’s 13th annual Holiday Storefront Decorations Awards?
A. Bella’s Barkery at 203 S. Main St.
B. Griffin’s Guitars at 103 S. Main St.
C. Lora Belle Baby at 105 N. Main St.
D. Pottery 101 at 101 S. Main St.
5. Capt. Shelia Lingle of the Salisbury Police Department retired last week after 30 years. As a young girl, what television show inspired her in part to become a law enforcement officer later?
B. “Police Woman”
C. “The Streets of San Francisco”
D. “Mod Squad”
6. Chryssie Whitehead spent last Monday as guest instructor for dance classes at A.L. Brown High in Kannapolis. What is one of the significant things on Whitehead’s dance resume?
A. She is a former Rockette
B. She was a cast member in “Cats”
C. She was a cast member in “Chicago”
D. All of the above
7. How does Smart Start Rowan’s “Reach Out and Read Program” get books in the hands of children?
A. Though pediatricians
B. Through church pastors
C. Through dentists
D. Through youth soccer coaches
8. Rachel Graham Terry celebrated her 100th birthday this past Monday. Growing up, Rachel and her family lived in a house next to what government-related building?
A. Salisbury City Hall
B. The former U.S. Courthouse and Post Office at 130 W. Innes St.
C. The Rowan County Jail
D. The Hefner VA Medical Center
9. South Rowan High junior Madison Lowery topped the All-Rowan County team in what sport?
B. Field hockey
D. Cross country
10. Jimmy and Jacob Jones, who are 11-year-old twin brothers, played the role of Hero Boy in this year’s “Polar Express,” which ended Friday night at the N.C. Transportation Museum. Where are the Jones brothers from?
A. Boulder, Colo.
B. Lincoln, Neb.
C. Columbus, Ohio
D. Fort Worth, Texas
SPENCER — Though they each had three Polar Express performances ahead of them Wednesday evening, 11-year-old twins Jimmy and Jacob... read more