Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Discussion has surfaced recently that developers are interested in the Plaza on the Square as a possible future hotel. Who donated the Plaza to the city of Salisbury in 1991, along with $2.6 million to complete its full-scale restoration?
A. Norfolk Southern Corp.
B. Rowan Regional Medical Center
C. Food Lion co-founder Ralph Ketner and his wife, Anne
D. Food Lion investor Archie Rufty
2. Food Lion celebrated a milestone birthday of the grocery chain this past week. When did the first Food Town (the name was changed later to Food Lion) store open in Salisbury?
A. Dec. 12, 1917
B. Dec. 12, 1942
C. Dec. 12, 1957
D. Dec. 12, 1967
3. Appearing in Salisbury this past week, N.C. Attorney General Josh Stein said, “The problem, sadly, is it will get worse before it gets better.” To what was Stein referring?
A. Opioid abuse in the state
B. Gang activity in N.C. cities
C. Prison overcrowding in North Carolina
D. White-collar crime
4. An anonymous donor thrilled the students at Overton Elementary School this past week when each boy and girl in the school was given what?
A. A new jacket from L.L. Bean
B. A new Schwinn bicycle
C. An iPad that was theirs, not the school’s
D. A pair of New Balance running shoes
5. Tiger World in Rockwell recently opened a new habitat for brothers Aztec and Zander who are want kind of feline?
D. Mountain lions
6. Dr. Gary Chapman, who grew up in the China Grove area, spoke Thursday at the Chamber of Commerce’s Power in Partnership breakfast. What’s the name of the book connected to business that Chapman has co-authored?
A. “Yours, Mine and the Company’s”
B. “Run It Up the Flagpole. What Do You have to Lose?”
C. “The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace”
D. “Make Yourself Useful, and You Make Yourself Indispensable”
7. Salisbury’s Amtrak station recently was ranked fourth in the country for what?
A. “On-time passenger trains”
B. “Overall station experience”
C. “Most beautiful setting”
D. “Best small-town stations”
8. In announcing that a local company will take over the events management at Salisbury Station, Historic Salisbury Foundation said one of the first improvements to the depot venue for weddings, parties, meetings and more will be what?
A. Installation of a full-service bar in the depot’s former ticket office
B. Screening in the concourse area closest to the tracks
C. Adding acoustic buffers on the Grand Waiting Room’s walls and ceiling to lessen the noise of passing trains
D. Replacement of the sound system in the Grand Waiting Room
9. October is the latest month for which the state has county-by-county unemployment figures. Which one of these statements is true about Rowan County’s 4.4 percent jobless rate in October?
A. It is 2 percent higher than in October 2016
B. It is 1 percent lower than in October 2016
C. It is lower than neighboring Cabarrus and Davidson counties
D. It is lower than the state average
10. Local singer and actress Mary Ann McCubbin recently was able to play a role she has been longing for her whole life. What part was it?
A. Fanny Brice in “Funny Girl”
B. Dorothy in “Wizard of Oz”
C. Eliza Doolittle in “My Fair Lady”
D. Santa Claus in a local bakery
Staff report SALISBURY — Salisbury’s Amtrak train station, located at the 1908 depot, was ranked No. 4 in the nation for... read more