Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. This past Tuesday, Al Heggins was chosen by her Salisbury City Council colleagues as mayor, making her the first African-American woman to serve in that position. Who was the city of Salisbury’s first African-American mayor from 1981-85?
A. Sam Duncan
B. W.O.T. Fleming
C. Wiley Lash
D. Darrell Hancock
2. When Heggins took her seat as mayor, she said, “Welcome to the …?
A. “… people’s meeting”
B. “… unity gathering”
C. “… people’s supper”
D. “… circle of love.”
3. What’s the name of the community-driven educational program, which has had 360 graduates since 2016, whose students learn to think critically about their future and make plans for life after high school?
A. Crosby Scholars
B. Hurley Scholars
C. Robertson Scholars
D. Stanback Scholars
4. Harold Earnhardt, who retired in 1988 as a brigadier general and commander of the N.C. Air National Guard, died Dec. 3 at the Hospice House in Salisbury. For 10 years, Earnhardt was mayor for what Rowan County municipality?
A. China Grove
5. Who has the Blanche & Julian Robertson Family Foundation named as its new executive director?
A. Jason Walser
B. Scott Maddox
C. Meg Dees
D. Maggie Blackwell
6. According to the 2016 American Community Survey, what percentage of Rowan County workers over age 16 work outside of the county?
A. 15.1 percent
B. 20.5 percent
C. 26.3 percent
D. 36.9 percent
7. The Salisbury Fire Department restored its first aerial truck, a 1941 American LaFrance, in time for its 200th anniversary this past week. What was the original purchase price of that truck in 1941?
8. As part of its 200th anniversary, the Salisbury Fire Department unveiled a historical marker this past Friday at the first documented site of a city fire station. In what downtown block is the new marker standing?
A. 100 block of East Innes Street
B. 100 block of South Lee Street
C. 200 block of South Main Street
D. 100 block of West Council Street
9. Battalion Chief Chris Kepley of the Salisbury Fire Department is winding up a 30-year career as the department’s first woman firefighter. When she first applied to the department, where was Kepley working a second-shift job?
A. Food Lion (Store No. 1)
C. Shaw Furniture
D. Brad Ragan
10. Former Livingstone College coach Edward “Buck” Joyner died this past Wednesday in Hampton, Va. In what sport did Joyner assist head coach James Stinson in leading the Blue Bears to consecutive CIAA championships in 2014 and 2015?
B. Track and field
SALISBURY — It simply summed up two centuries of service. As Capt. Rodney Misenheimer drove the Salisbury Fire Department’s restored 1941... read more