Next Saturday last day to apply for Christmas Bureau applications
SALISBURY — Anyone who has not applied for help this holiday season with local organizations who make it possible to receive Christmas gifts can do so through the Christmas Bureau. The Rowan County Christmas Bureau will take applications for Christmas Happiness, the Salvation Army Angel Tree, Operation Santa and Project Santa one final time.
Those who believe they are eligible for any of the above organizations can apply from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 2 at the Hurley YMCA, 828 W. Jake Alexander Blvd.
• The Salisbury Post Christmas Happiness Fund gives eligible parents and guardians a voucher to do the gift shopping themselves for their children’s Christmas. Donations from readers of the Salisbury Post fund the vouchers.
• Project Santa, based at First Baptist Church of Denton, provides toys for school-aged children, clothing and food to families in need on Christmas Eve.
• Operation Santa, Arc of Rowan’s Christmas program, provides gifts for qualifying families with developmentally disabled children.
Those who apply for help must bring the following types of information:
• A current N.C. picture ID or driver’s license.
• If an ID is expired, bring a lease and utility bill.
• Birth certificate for all children 12 and younger.
• Current Medicaid card.
• Proof of all income and expenses.
• Food and Nutrition verification letter.
• Unemployment benefits letter.
• Custody papers, if the person applying is a guardian.
The Rowan County United Way coordinates the Christmas Bureau, now in its fourth year of taking applications for several agencies.
By Andie Foley firstname.lastname@example.org SALISBURY – As stores opened on Friday, crowds of holiday shoppers amassed in a startlingly slow... read more