Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Former West Rowan High football coach Scott Young, 45, died this past Wednesday. What happened across Rowan County that same day as a tribute to Young, whose Falcons won three state championships from 2008-2010?
A. Flags were flown at half staff at all schools
B. Lights in empty high school football stadiums were turned on that night
C. All high schools held a moment of silence at 17 minutes past noon, to mark Young’s 17 seasons at West as a coach
D. For that day only, each Rowan County high school renamed its football stadium for Young
2. What was coach Scott Young’s favorite college football team?
A. Alabama Crimson Tide
B. Clemson Tigers
C. Auburn Tigers
D. LSU Tigers
3. The Spencer Board of Aldermen took a step this past week toward the town’s purchase of the Park Plaza shopping center. What do town officials want to do with the property?
A. Transform it into a park, which was its original use back when Spencer was a railroaders’ town
B. Convert many of the former stores into a visitor’s center, which will serve the N.C. Transportation Museum
C. Create a business incubator
D. Use it for a new town hall and police department
4. The Granite Quarry Planning Board gave preliminary plat approval this past Monday to a new development off Faith Road. What is proposed?
A. A two-story veterinary hospital
B. A strip retail center with an IGA grocery store as a main tenant
C. A 250-home subdivision
D. A 25,000-square-foot warehouse for UPS
5. Lee Wagoner’s uniquely decorated fence along Jake Alexander Boulevard (near Faith Road) has become a treat for passing motorists. To give the fence some three-dimensional texture, Wagoner attached variously sized pieces of wood. Where did the wood come from?
A. Discarded pallets at the Food Lion warehouse
B. Three different house demolitions in Salisbury
C. A wheelchair ramp used by her late mother
D. A pair of old chicken houses that once stood on her property
6. A Charleston, S.C.-based food truck, which won Food Network’s most recent “Great Food Truck Race,” traveled to New Sarum Brewing in Salisbury last weekend for a pop-up event that attracted many diners. What was the name of this food truck?
A. Guerilla Street
B. Braised in the South
C. Chomp, Chomp Nation
D. Road Warrior Wedges
7. As a way to give something back in recognition for all the people who contributed $3,000 toward buying her great-grandson a new wheelchair, Gerry Fitzpatrick of Rockwell said she would make one of these for every $30, meaning she is making 100 what?
B. Wooden sculptures
C. Fishing lures
D. Pottery bowls
8. Owen White, a senior at Carson High School, signed a national letter of intent this past week to play baseball at what university?
B. Florida State
D. South Carolina
9. A “poker run” for bicyclists was held in downtown Salisbury Saturday afternoon to raise money toward establishing what?
A. A bike-share program in Salisbury
B. A bicycles-for-homeless program
C. A training class at the YMCA for unicyclists
D. A spin class at Rufty-Holmes Senior Center.
10. In a drawing held at the United Way campaign’s final report meeting, Crystal Drew won a car. What was the interesting footnote behind her winning the new car from the Cloninger dealership?
A. Her brother works for Cloninger
B. She had just purchased a car a week earlier
C. She doesn’t have a driver’s license
D. Her car had been totaled in an accident two days before the drawing
SPENCER — Heather Resino and Devan Purvis are miracles and always will be. Just ask their parents. Now another miracle... read more