Family displaced following early morning kitchen fire
By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — A family of five was displaced Wednesday morning after a kitchen fire at their Geiger Lane home.
Investigators say the fire was accidental.
The owner of the property, located at 210 Geiger Lane, not far from Miller Chapel Road, boiled some water for tea and left the kitchen. She returned to find the kitchen on fire. She had left a pan with cooking oil on the stove from the night before that got hot and ignited, said fire investigator Lt. Kevin Aube.
The fire was called in at 7:36 a.m. with multiple fire agencies responding, including the Locke, South Salisbury, Atwell, China Grove, Bostian Heights and Landis fire departments. The Rowan County Fire Service and Rowan County EMS also responded.
EMS personnel had to treat someone at the scene for smoke inhalation, but the victim was not taken to the hospital.
Aube said it’s possible the family members were able to salvage a few belongings, but they were not able to stay in the mobile home. There was some smoke and water damage in the kitchen and smoke throughout the home.
The fire was under control at 7:52 a.m. The final fire investigator left at 8:57 a.m.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
SALISBURY – A tractor-trailer driver told Salisbury police that he was sprayed with pepper spray by another driver during a... read more