Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Researchers using ground-penetrating radar have located what artifact in Salisbury?
A. Remnants of a Confederate prison building
B. A canon used in Stoneman’s Raid
C. An 18th century time capsule
D. The foundation of an old Cheerwine warehouse
2. Participants in a Tuesday forum at the Rowan County Cooperative Extension office discussed what urgent problem?
A. Infant mortality
B. Opioid abuse
C. Lyme Disease
D. High rates of obesity
3. The DIY Network TV show “Salvage Dawgs” recently filmed a segment featuring the reuse of salvaged items from what local site?
A. The demolished First Union Bank building on West Innes Street
B. The Dunbar Center in East Spencer
C. Buildings in downtown Kannapolis
D. The Empire Hotel building on South Main Street
4. An undercover Rowan County sheriff’s officer escaped injury when suspects in a drug deal did what?
A. Tried to run over the officer with an SUV
B. Threatened him with machetes
C. Tied him up and threw him into a lake
D. Kidnapped and robbed the officer at gunpoint
5. Rowan-Cabarrus Community College will use an interactive mobile driving simulator to help train what group of drivers?
A. Law enforcement, fire departments, EMTs and truck drivers
B. Teenage drivers seeking a permit
C. Prospective stock-car racers
D. Heavy equipment operators
6. When Rowan-Salisbury Schools resumed classes Monday, the district had 18 teacher vacancies. That’s a big improvement from the start of the previous school year, when the system had how many vacancies?
7. Tuesday’s Salisbury Post featured a photo on page 3A of local resident Bobby Clawson posing with an unusual object. What was it?
A. A two-headed rat snake
B. A 50-pound catfish
C. A fried chicken leg that resembled a human face
D. A rare baseball card he found at a garage sale
8. Rowan County drivers got some good news recently when the state DOT said it was looking for suggestions to do what?
A. Repave some local roads maintained by the state
B. Replace dangerous intersections with roundabouts
C. Rebuild old bridges
D. Add new interstate ramps