Patterson Farm prepares for ‘Curious’ season
Patterson Farm Market & Tours
MOUNT ULLA — “Curious George” will take to the fields of Rowan County this fall.
Patterson Farm’s Market and Tours division will celebrate the 75th anniversary of the first “Curious George” book throughout the season with special activities and a 2.5-acre corn maze designed on the “Curious George” theme.
The Patterson Farm Market & Tours Maize is custom-designed by The Maize Co. of Spanish Fork, Utah.
In its 23rd year as a Rowan agri-tourism destination, the farm sees some 30,000 visitors during the fall season.
Fall events will begin with Curiosity Day on Saturday, Sept. 16, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with special games and activities relating to “Curious George.”
The Market & Tours division is located at 10390 Caldwell Road. Fall market hours, beginning Sept. 23, are Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. and Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
The farm is also open weekday afternoons Oct. 2-31, featuring a puppet show at 1 p.m. and with Pappaw Carl’s Playground, the barnyard, corn maze and wagon rides beginning on the half hour.
The maze, Gracie Graham’s Treasure Mine and other family fall events will be open weekends from Saturday, Sept. 23 through Oct. 24, on Saturdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., and Sundays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Special activities include:
• Ladies Night Out and Dilly Dally in the Pumpkin Patch, Sept. 21, 6:30-8:30 p.m. (pre-registration required).
• Sneak Peak Day, Sept. 23.
• A Special Pumpkin Patch Adventure for Those with Special Needs, Sept. 24, 1-6 p.m.
• Local Heroes Weekend, Sept. 30-Oct. 1.
• Kids “Dilly Dally” in the Pumpkin Patch, Oct. 1, 2-4 p.m. (pre-registation required).
• Grandparents Weekend, Oct. 7-8.
• Tractor Galore Weekend, Oct. 14-15.
• Portraits in the Patch, Oct. 21, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Teacher Appreciation Weekend, Oct. 21-22..
• Free Movie Night with purchase of weekend admission, Oct. 21, 7 p.m., featuring “Curious George: A Halloween Boofest” and “Curious George Spooky Fun.”
• “Pumpkins in the Patch and Candy in the Corn” and Scout Appreciation Weekend, Oct. 28-29.
Admission to the maze and other activities ranges from $10 to $14 and includes more than 30 activities, including Pappaw Carl’s Playground, hayrides and face painting. Activities available at an additional charge include cow train rides, pony rides and Gracie Graham’s Treasure Mine. Tickets may be purchased online at www.visitpattersonfarm.com.
Food is available at the Snack Silo, including kettle corn and hand-dipped ice cream.
Visitors are encouraged to bring a canned food item for $1 off admission with proceeds benefitting Rowan Helping Ministries.
More information is available at www.visitpattersonfarm.com.
“Curious George’‘ and The Man in the Yellow Hat are the creation of Hans A. and Margret Rey, a German Jewish couple who escaped their home in Paris as the Nazi Army advanced on the city in 1940.
The first “Curious George” book was published in 1941. More than 25 million copies of “Curious George” books have been sold.