Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. After a makeover that took two years, the Paul Fisher East Peak Challenge, which includes a ropes course and zipline, has reopened behind the Saleeby-Fisher YMCA. This past week, what group took on the course as a team-building exercise?
A. Leadership Rowan
B. South Rowan High football players
C. Rowan County United Way division leaders
D. Grow Rowan committee heads
2. Davie County Commissioner Dan Barrett is interested in the vacant N.C. Senate seat that was held by Andrew Brock. In 2004, Barrett gained attention when he did what?
A. Caught what was then a state record for a catfish
B. Gave his youth football team an all-expense-paid trip to the White House
C. Walked across the state as part of his candidacy for governor
D. Donated his year’s salary as county attorney to Relay for Life
3. Rowan Museum will have a benefit concert this coming Saturday. Who will be the featured performers?
A. Clay Lunsford and Matthew Weaver
B. Darrell Harwood
C. Ashley Jo Farmer and the Billy Jonas Band
D. Rebecca Stinson and Joe Ponds
4. Nationally known director and choreographer Vincent Paterson is coming to Catawba College Aug. 25 to lead a master class and speak later with the public. Which of these stars has Paterson not worked with?
A. Michael Jackson
B. Olivia Newton-John
C. David Bowie
5. Rowan County government recently has been named among the best counties in the United States for providing what?
A. Agricultural education
C. Social services
D. Digital services
6. The Rowan County American Legion baseball team, which had won two consecutive state championships, was ousted from the state tournament this year by losing twice, in walk-off defeats, to what team?
D. Eastern Randolph
7. “After 2008, at about the time we were rolling it out, the recession hit, and it couldn’t have been a worse time for us.” Who said this about Fibrant, the city of Salisbury’s fiber-optic cable utility?
A. Former Mayor Paul Woodson
B. Former Councilman Bill Burgin
C. Former Councilman Mark Lewis
D. Former Mayor Susan Kluttz
8. Over his varied career, Gary Blythe has raised bulls and worked as a contractor for the Colonial Pipeline. At 66, he has started a new profession. What is it?
B. Probation officer
9. The Summer Sip Crawl will be held from 5-9 p.m. Friday in downtown Salisbury. What’s something different about it this year?
A. When people pick up their tickets, they will receive a map, wristband and mug
B. Tickets can be picked up at the Visitors Center in the Gateway Building
C. A person’s map is punched at every stop
D. The accompanying beer festival will be held more than a month later and not the day after.
10. Former West Rowan High basketball star Keshun Sherrill, who was a two-time Division II All-American at Augusta University and arguably the school’s best player ever, has signed a professional deal to play in Europe. Where will Sherrill be?
A. The Netherlands
CLEVELAND — When he was 6 years old, Gary Blythe received a .22-caliber rifle from an uncle, who won the... read more