Red Cross blood shortage continues
Published 8:37 am Tuesday, July 25, 2017
Thousands of people have responded to an emergency call for blood and platelet donations issued by the American Red Cross in early July, but there continues to be a critical summer blood shortage.
Eligible donors of all types are urgently needed.
A blood drive will be held from 2 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Saleeby Fisher YMCA, 790 Crescent Road, Rockwell.
Friday will bring two drives, both from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at J.F. Hurley YMCA, 828 Jake Alexander Blvd, and Genesis Healthcare, 710 Julian Road.
Additional blood drives in Rowan and Davie counties are listed below.
After issuing the emergency call, the Red Cross had a 30 percent increase in blood donation appointments through mid-July. About half of the appointments were scheduled by donors using the free Blood Donor App or at redcrossblood.org.
But blood products are still being distributed to hospitals as fast as donations are coming in, so more donations are needed to meet patient needs and replenish the blood supply.
Nearly 61,000 fewer blood donations than needed were given through the Red Cross in May and June, prompting the emergency call for donations in early July. The shortfall was the equivalent of the Red Cross not receiving any blood donations for more than four days.
To schedule an appointment to donate, use the Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 800-RED CROSS (800-733-2767). Donation appointments and completion of a RapidPass online health history questionnaire are encouraged to help reduce the time it takes to donate.
Donors who give blood or platelets with the Red Cross through Aug. 31 will be emailed a $5 Target gif t card.
• Sunday, 1-5:30 p.m., Rock Grove United Methodist Church, 1050 Rock Grove Church Road.
• Aug. 6, 1-6 p.m., St. Matthews Lutheran Church, 9275 Bringle Ferry Road, and 1-5:30 p.m. , Mount Moriah Lutheran Church, 750 Mount Moriah Church Road, China Grove.
• Aug. 7, noon-4:30 p.m., E.H. Dole Chapter 1, American Red Cross, 1930 Jake Alexander Blvd.W.
• Aug. 13, 12:30-5 p.m., Calvary Baptist Tabernacle, 3760 Stokes Ferry Road.
• Aug. 14, 2:30-7 p.m., Franklin Baptist Church, 3810 U.S. 601.
• Thursday, 2-6:30 p.m., Rescue House Church, 653 Wilkesboro St.
• Aug. 3, 2-6:30 p.m., Farmington Community Center, 1723 Farmington Road.
• Aug. 8, 2-6:30 p.m., Fork Baptist Church, 3140 U.S. 64 E.