Spencer gains three in Tuesday election filings
SALISBURY — The field of candidates for elected office in Spencer doubled Tuesday as three people filed for mayor or alderman.
Those three candidates were joined by two others — one in Salisbury and another in Kannapolis.
All of the Spencer candidates are incumbents. The two others are challengers.
The five candidates who filed Tuesday are:
• Todd Paris, a challenger running for Salisbury City Council.
• Jim Gobbel, who filed for re-electon in the Spencer mayoral race.
• Kevin Jones, who filed for re-election to the Spencer Board of Aldermen.
• David Smith, who filed for re-election to the Spencer Board of Aldermen.
• Evander “Van” Rowell Jr., a challenger running for Kannapolis City Council.
With Tuesday’s filings, the Salisbury City Council race now has 11 candidates.
Filing for municipal races ends at noon Friday. The election is Nov. 7.
Contests without enough candidates to fill positions up for election this year include China Grove Town Council, Cleveland Board of Commissioners, Faith Board of Aldermen, Rockwell mayor, Rockwell Board of Aldermen and Spencer Board of Aldermen.
For more information about municipal elections, call the Board of Elections at 704-216-8140 or visit www.rowancountync.gov/191/elections.