Six file for municipal office on Monday
SALISBURY — Six more people on Monday added their names to the list of Rowan County residents seeking elected office.
The six candidates filed for East Spencer mayor and alderman, Faith alderman, Salisbury City Council, and Spencer alderman.
Four of the candidates are incumbents. Two are challengers.
The candidates who filed Monday are:
• Karen Alexander, who filed for re-election to the Salisbury City Council.
• Teon Robinson, a challenger running for East Spencer mayor.
• Tammy Corpening, who filed for re-election to the East Spencer Board of Aldermen
• Todd Peeler, a challenger who filed for the Faith Board of Aldermen. Peeler has previously served on the board.
• Mike Boone, who filed for re-election to the Spencer Board of Aldermen.
• Sylvia Chillcott, who filed for re-election to the Spencer Board of Aldermen.
Three and a half days remain until filing for municipal races ends at noon Friday.
The Salisbury City Council race has attracted the most candidates of any contest on the ballot Nov. 7. There are five open positions and 10 candidates.
The following people have filed for Salisbury City Council: Alexander, Ryan C. Evans, Kenny Hardin, Al Heggins, Brian Miller, David Post, Patricia Jones “PJ” Ricks, Tamara Sheffield and Latasha Wilks.
Some contests do not yet have enough candidates to fill all the available positions with terms expiring this year. Those contests include: China Grove Town Council, Cleveland Board of Commissioners, Faith Board of Aldermen, Rockwell mayor, Rockwell Board of Aldermen, Spencer mayor and Spencer Board of Aldermen, according to the Rowan County Board of Elections website.
For more information about municipal elections, call the Board of Elections at 704-216-8140 or visit www.rowancountync.gov/191/elections.
SALISBURY — A Salisbury man who turned himself in to police was charged Monday with second-degree murder in the shooting... read more