Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Salisbury City Manager Lane Bailey made it clear this past Tuesday that Fibrant, the city’s fiber-optic cable utility, is what?
A. “Going to be sold no matter what”
B. “A drain on city finances”
C. “Here to stay”
D. “The future of Salisbury”
2. Law enforcement officials say a China Grove father, his son and the son’s girlfriend conspired to rob the Mystic gas station in Mooresville. What did authorities say was unusual about the larceny and embezzlement at the store, where the father was a clerk?
A. After the father lifted money from the cash register, he gave it to the son and girlfriend, who hid it in restroom toilets before returning later in the day to retrieve the cash
B. The son was dressed as a woman when he stole money from the cash register.
C. The girlfriend created a disturbance in a far corner of the store while the son cleaned out the cash register
D. The father turned off all the store alarms on three consecutive nights, which allowed the son and girlfriend to enter after hours and steal money and merchandise
3. Participation doubled to 120 kids this summer for a camp at Horizons Unlimited. What is the name of the camp?
A. Camp Wanderlust
B. Camp Hedgehog
C. Camp Invention
D. Unlimited Horizons Camp
4. Salisbury attorney Bill Graham has expressed an interest in filling the N.C. Senate seat recently vacated by Andrew Brock. In 2008, Graham ran a statewide campaign trying to earn the GOP nomination for what office?
A. Attorney general
B. Secretary of State
C. Lieutenant governor
5. To get their four sons outdoors and off their electronic devices, Chris and Lynn Frank built something a little different in their backyard. What was it?
A. A zip line
B. A mini American Ninja Warrior obstacle course
C. A 30-foot-high climbing tower
D. A trampoline golf course
6. Many people turned out for the 32 Annual Hamfest held recently at the Salisbury Civic Center. To what does the “Ham” in “Hamfest” refer?
A. Bacon producers
B. Amateur radio operators
C. Hog farmers
D. Collectors of pig-related toys, miniatures and other items
7. Salisbury City Council has passed an ordinance setting up a program aimed at reducing repetitive crimes in rental units and having landlords work closer with the Police Department. What is this initiative generated by the Housing Advocacy Commission called?
A. Defeat the Repeat
B. Joining Hands
C. Remedial Action Plan
D. Home Economics
8. In the latest year for which statistics are available — 2015 — how many deaths from opioids occurred in Rowan County.
9. Mary Mae’s Southern Mercantile has opened as a new downtown store in what Rowan County community?
10. This past week marked the 50th anniversary of the Newark, N.J., race riots. The police beating of John “J.W.” Smith, a man who had grown up in Salisbury, set the five days of bloody unrest in motion. What was Smith’s occupation in Newark?
A. Nightclub bouncer
B. Sanitation worker
D. Cab driver
Staff report SALISBURY — The Salisbury Shag Club will hold its 20th annual golf tournament Aug. 19, and former University... read more