Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. In connection with the N.C. Transportation Museum in Spencer, the recently passed state budget did what?
A. Increased the state allocation by $100,000
B. Decreased the state allocation by $250,000
C. Put the state allocation over $1 million for the first time.
D. Pulled all monetary funding but purchased 60 additional acres for the museum site
2. Nine graduates of the electronics technology class gathered for a 50-year reunion at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College. What was the school called when these students attended in 1967?
A. Rowan-Cabarrus Mechanical School
B. Rowan-Cabarrus Vocational School
C. Rowan County Trade Institute
D. Rowan Technical Institute
3. What was the first year for the Faith Fourth of July celebration?
4. Twins Brenda and Linda Cauble are as close as sisters can be, but which of the following is not true?
A. They drive the same model car
B. They have both been nurses at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center for 38 years
C. They married men who are brothers of each other
D. They are fraternal twins, not identical
5. Bennett Petrea, 3, of Rockwell, has Type I diabetes, and he depends on a dog named Josie. What does Josie do for the young boy?
A. She alerts Bennett when his blood sugar drops below 80 or rises above 180
B. She serves as a seeing-eye dog for Bennett
C. She pulls Bennett around in a three-wheeled cart
D. She accompanies him to all his doctor visits
6. At Knollwood Elementary School, four teachers hosted a summer camp for students from across Rowan County. What subject did the teachers focus on?
B. The environment
C. English as a second language
7. Country Donutz has opened on Jake Alexander Boulevard. Manager Lang Leng and owner Reggie Earl hope the shop’s pink boxes will become the new symbol for doughnuts in Salisbury. What is the significance of the pink boxes?
A. It is a color in the Cambodian flag, which was the home country of Leng and Earl.
B. Cambodian refugees to California in the late 1970s started making doughnuts as a way to create a livelihood, and they put the doughnuts in pink boxes, which were several cents cheaper than white boxes
C. Pink is Earl’s wife’s favorite color
D. Pink is thought of as a color representing serenity in Cambodian culture
8. East Rowan High graduate Bridget Cox, now employed by J.R. Clancy Inc. of Syracuse, New York, has a passion for travel. She recently connected with a safari company in Africa and spent almost two weeks visiting several national parks to observe gorillas and chimpanzees. What country did she visit?
9. The LandTrust for Central North Carolina is offering special memberships which open up permanently conserved lands to whom?
A. College students and professors
D. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts
GRANITE QUARRY — Let it ride. The Granite Quarry Board of Aldermen voted 4-0 Thursday night to keep mayoral... read more