Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. The Salisbury Police Department — along with the Drug Enforcement Agency in general — is warning the public about the dangers of a specific pain-relief drug which often has been combined with heroin in overdose deaths. What is the drug?
2. Salisbury native Rocky Cabagnot has been named the new executive director of what non-profit organization?
A. The Rowan United Way
B. Rowan County YMCA
C. Salisbury-Rowan Community Action Agency
D. Salisbury-Rowan Community Development Corp.
3. The N.C. General Assembly has appointed state Sen. Andrew Brock, R-Davie, to the State Board of Review, meaning Brock will have to give up his Senate seat. Who else from Rowan County already sits on the Board of Review?
A. John Holshouser
B. Chip Short
C. Fred Steen
D. Steve Blount
4. Dr. Elliott Love, who works in the Salisbury office for the Dermatology Group of the Carolinas, competed in an “American Ninja Warrior” regional competition. Where was that regional competition held?
A. Daytona Beach, Fla.
B. Cleveland, Ohio
C. San Antonio, Texas
D. Chattanooga, Tenn.
5. Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church is marking a special anniversary year in 2017. How many years ago was the church first organized?
6. A new restaurant, Palermo’s Italian Cuisine, has opened at 127 S. Main St., Salisbury. Where did the original Palermo’s open in 2007?
B. Granite Quarry
7. Granite Quarry recently renamed a street in honor of this former town official. For whom is the street named?
A. Mary Ponds
B. Jake Fisher
C. Harry Sifford
D. Dan Peters
8. Brad Jackson, a foster care records specialist at Lutheran Services Carolinas, recently used CPR to save the life of a 13-year-old boy who almost drowned in Jackson’s pool. What was it about Jackson’s reliance on CPR that made this story unusual?
A. Jackson had never received CPR instruction
B. He performed the CPR for more than 30 minutes
C. He had attended a CPR refresher class the day before
D. Jackson used his feet, not his hands, to compress the chest of the boy
9. Jean Helms has opened a bakery for dogs on South Main Street in Salisbury. What is the name of this new shop?
A. No Bones About it
B, A Dog’s Life Bakery
C. Doggie Bag
D. Bella’s Barkery
10. Rowan County’s Bobby Parnell, who has been a successful major league baseball pitcher in the past, is on the comeback trail to the big leagues and is currently pitching for what Triple-A team?
A. Charlotte Knights
B. Rochester Redwings
C. Pawtucket Red Sox
D. Nashville Sounds
SALISBURY— A co-worker talked Brad Jackson into it, and she penciled their names onto the sign-up sheet attached to the... read more