• 64°

Rowan weather: More heavy storms possible tonight

As if Sunday night wasn’t loud and bright enough, forecasters say a cold front could bring strong to severe thunderstorms to the area again tonight.

Quarter-size hail and brief, damaging winds will be possible. Very heavy rainfall is also possible, along with isolated flash flooding.

During the day, we’ll have a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 2 p.m. It will be mostly cloudy and 87, with south southwest wind at 9-14 mph, gusting to 21 mph.

There is a 70 percent chance of showers and storms tonight, mostly before 4 a.m. Patchy fog will form between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m. It will be cloudy and 67, with south southwest winds at 5-8 mph. A half to three quarters of an inch of rain is possible.

Tuesday will have a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms and will be mostly cloudy, with a high of 81. A tenth to quarter inch of rain is possible, except for higher amounts in thunderstorms.

The same chance of rain continues Tuesday night, with a low of 66 and south southwest wind at 3-5 mph.

Wednesday will have a 30 percent chance of showers, and will be partly sunny with a high of 82 and light southwest wind. The chance of showers dips to 20 percent Wednesday night. It will be mostly cloudy and 67.

Thursday, too, has a 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 3 p.m. It will be partly sunny and 86. Then the chance of showers goes up to 50 percent Thursday night, with a low of 70.

Friday, showers and thunderstorms are possible after 11 a.m., with a 40 percent chance of precipitation. It will be mostly cloudy and 83. Showers and storms are likely Friday night, with a 60 percent chance of rain. It will be mostly cloudy and 71.

And Saturday has a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, with partly sunny skies and a high of 88. Saturday night will be mostly cloudy and 70.

A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms is possible Sunday, but it will be partly sunny and 86.

Comments

Business

‘It’s our big time’: Salisbury Farmers Market reopens Saturday

Education

Schools capital funding still frozen as RSS sends local budget to county

Business

Shields, Cheerwine Festival receive N.C. Main Street Awards

Kannapolis

Duke University launches kidney disease study in Kannapolis for people of African descent

Education

Horizons Unlimited will hold in-person summer camps

Education

Education briefs: Catawba planning for more in-person activities, free summer school tuition

Coronavirus

County’s full COVID-19 vaccinations top 22,600

High School

High school golf: With Merrell, Mustangs back on top

Local

Spencer investigating rat problem on South Iredell Street

News

Livingstone, Mission House Church to host national ‘Black Voters Matter’ listening session

Education

Shoutouts

Business

Groundbreaking on Pennant Square signals next phase in downtown Kannapolis revitalization

Nation/World

J&J vaccine to remain in limbo while officials seek evidence

Nation/World

Prosecutors: No charges for officer in Capitol riot shooting

Nation/World

Biden to pull US troops from Afghanistan, end ‘forever war’

Nation/World

Former Minnesota cop charged in shooting of Black motorist

Crime

Blotter: April 14

Elections

Former North Carolina Gov. McCrory enters US Senate race

Crime

Salisbury woman arrested in Myrtle Beach for abducting child

Health

County updates health director job description, will advertise for position

High School

High school tennis: East beats Carson, still hopes to share NPC title

Elections

Board of Elections to purchase upgraded voting equipment using federal grant

Kannapolis

Kyle Seager drives in winning run in first game as Mariners split doubleheader with Orioles

Local

City exhausts this year’s funds for Innes Street Improvements, Municipal Services District grant programs