St. John’s Lutheran Church awards more than $20,000 in scholarships
St. John’s Lutheran Church
On June 4, St. John’s Lutheran Church awarded 35 scholarships totaling $20,040. The scholarships are the result of gifts from members who want to support students in their post-secondary education. The scholarships are part of the St. John’s Benevolent Foundation, a $7.5 million foundation started in 1974.
Cyndi Osterhus, scholarship chairwoman, made the presentations during the 11 a.m. worship service. Tommy Page chairs the St. John’s Benevolent Foundation.
• Thomas E. Gilbert and Viola H. Bailey Scholarship: John Yang, Caroline Parrott and Shelby Holden.
• Dorothy Click Fesperman Scholarship: Caroline Parrott, Carter Woolly, Faith Faller, Georgia Kirchin, Haley Sims, John Yang, Laura Agner, Matthew Woolly, Paul McNeely, Riley Myers, Robert Sullivan, II, Samuel McNeely, Shelby Holden, Steven Page and Walker Brown.
• Carl Edgar & Edna Cauble Leazer Church Music Scholarship: Laura Agner.
• Scott Rierson Memorial Scholarship: Juliana Anderson and Ike Emerson.
• Emily May Brown Memorial Scholarship: Ashlyn Mills, Juliana Anderson, Ike Emerson and Tate Houpe.
• Bruce Alden Ketner Jr. Scholarship: Ashley Medina, Estefany Jacobo and Tate Houpe.
• Margaret Cline & Ernest Crawford Safrit Sr. Scholarship: Alex Yang, Caroline Plyler, Caylynn Westberg and Carter Woolly.
• Hugh B. and Lena B. Lyerly Scholarship: Christopher Derrick, David Derrick and Faith Faller.
SALISBURY — Eighteen Salisbury Academy alumni graduated from area high school programs Saturday and now are ready for college. Students... read more