Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. In the wake of a 172-page report and investigation which ended up clearing Salisbury Police Officer Karl Boehm in the Nov. 3, 2016, shooting death of Ferguson Claude Laurent, Police Chief Jerry Stokes said his department will implement several changes. Which of the following is not one of those changes?
A. Doubling up on the number of minority officers
B. Creating a Chief’s Citizen Advisory Board
C. Making sure all employees in the department go through implicit bias training
D. Creating a Crisis Negotiation Team
2. According to the investigation into Laurent’s death, Laurent allegedly was armed and fired at officers who were executing a no-knock warrant. How many bullets were recovered from the gun said to be used by Laurent?
3. As of now, what did Chief Stokes say will be the future of his department’s execution of no-knock warrants?
A. They will continue to be used as always
B. They will not be used again
C. The use of no-knock warrants will be suspended, unless the chief or deputy chief gives approval
D. No-knock warrants will only be used when officers are trying to apprehend someone wanted in a homicide
4. Over a 20-month period, brothers Drew and Tyler Heald collected eggs from their backyard chickens and furnished them to the Rowan Helping Ministries shelter. What did the brothers call their student service project for Gray Stone Day School?
A. Flock of Fortune
B. Hens for the Hungry
C. Layers of Love
5. In Birmingham, Ala., this past Wednesday, Jon Post of Salisbury won a national Senior Games title in what sport?
D. Basketball (foul-shooting)
6. Dr. Marcus C. Smith, an educator, died this past week at the age of 86. Which of these school positions did Smith once hold?
A. Admissions dean at Catawba College
B. Superintendent of Salisbury City Schools
C. President of Livingstone College
D. All of the above
7. Wilton and Kathleen Young of Rowan County have been married 70 years. In 1947, they eloped and were wed by a justice of the peace in what S.C. town?
A. Rock Hill
8. Pat Waters has been spending the weekend with members of the 737th Tank Battalion, which is having its reunion in Rowan County. Waters is the grandson of what famous officer from World War II?
A. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower
B. Gen. Douglas MacArthur
C. Gen. Bernard “Monty” Montgomery
D. Gen. George S. Patton
9. This past week, a room in the community building at the Brenner Crossing apartment complex was named in tribute to whom?
A. Susan Kluttz
B. Wiley Lash
C. William Peoples
D. Mark Hunter
10. Why did Edna Price, a resident of Kannapolis, receive a letter from former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama?
A. The Obamas were recognizing Price’s long career as an educator
B. The letter was an invitation, sent to one person in each of the 50 states, to join the Obamas for a special education summit in Washington in October
C. It recognized Price’s 103rd birthday
D. Price was Michelle Obama’s first-grade teacher many years ago
By Mark Wineka email@example.com SALISBURY — This weekend, four surviving men of the 737th Tank Battalion — all in their... read more