GRADUATION 2017: High school graduation ceremonies are Saturday
Published 12:00 am Friday, June 9, 2017
The big day has finally arrived: Rowan-Salisbury high schools will hold graduation exercises Saturday.
Ceremonies will begin at 8 a.m. at most public schools in the county.
Here’s a lineup:
• East Rowan High School: 8 a.m. in the campus stadium. 242 diplomas will be awarded. Student speakers are valedictorian Paola Rivera and salutatorian Nicholas Lyerly.
• West Rowan High School: 8 a.m. in the campus stadium. 254 diplomas to be awarded. Junior marshals are TJ Cobb, Morgan Corriher, Alex Ho, Jalen Kemp, Stacey Ketchie, Hien Le, Long Le, Nahla Mills, Madison Sell, Reese Webb, Alexis Witt and Ben Zino. Speakers are Student Government Association President Bailey Herndon, class President Ashley Wood, Robbie Cogburn and Margaret Smith.
• South Rowan High School: 8 a.m. in James Donnell Stadium on campus. 187 diplomas to be awarded. Junior marshals: Holiday Harvey, Brianna Nicole Haynes, Madyson Taylor Jenkins, Cordelia Elise Lambert, Taylor Brianna Mauldin, Kaitlyn Anne McCombs, Taylor Brooke Morgan, Angelina Monique Palacios, Kara Nicole Steele, Logan Elizabeth Weaver and Addison Lynne Wise. Speakers are Abby Marie Blume and Austin Jordan Chrismon.
• North Rowan High School: 8 a.m. in Eagle Stadium on campus. 133 diplomas will be awarded. Speakers are valedictorian Mai Xi Vang and salutatorian Brianna Deann White.
• Salisbury High School: 8 a.m. in Ludwig Stadium on campus. The school will award 173 degrees. Student speakers are valedictorian Sharmi Amin and salutatorians Isabella Alvarez and Mathias de Comarmond. Junior marshals are Mary Caroline Kaufmann, Bethanie Lynn Stauffer, Julia Caroline Honeycutt, Ethan Christopher Knorr, Simon Eli Post, Maria Evelina Capito, Zachary Andrew Chichester, Keegan Anthony Dillon, Joseph Alexander Antosek, Gemma MargaretRuth Brown, Benjamin Cole Roy, Garrett Bradley Shermer and Anna Caroline Patel.
• Jesse C. Carson High School: 8 a.m. in the campus stadium. 258 diplomas to be awarded. Speakers are Isaac Bell and Karrigan Harden. Junior marshals are Abigail Cole, Alison Fore, Devin Gay, Mollie Goss, Tanner Hawkins, Gabrielle Jolly, Chloe Kirkpatrick, Rebekah Lippard, Amanda Patton, Garrison Seitz, Carson Sifford, Hannah Smith, Bree Tucker, and Taylor Wiggins.
• A.L. Brown High School: 9 a.m. on campus. 318 diplomas to be awarded. The keynote speaker is teacher Jennifer Ward. Junior marshals are Arshad Baruti, Jackson Brim, Jason Chamnangam, Rebecca Clark, Madison Crabtree, Austin Davis, Gavin Evans, Edguardo Garduno-Pina, Jordan Hardeman, Avery Hodgson, Jackson Holsclaw, Sydney Keesee, Jesse Peterson, Patrick Veazie and Victoria Watson.
• Henderson Independent High School: 10 a.m. in the school auditorium. 10 diplomas to be awarded. Speakers are Jonathan Womack and William “Jay” Watkins Jr.
• Rowan County Early College: 51 diplomas were awarded on May 19. Speakers included Principal Patrick Holsey and Michael Quillen, Rowan-Cabarrus Community College vice president in academic programs. Student speakers were valedictorian Radha Patel salutatorian Estefan Jimenez Jacobo. Junior marshals were Megan Guzman, Christopher Shupe, Kristen Compton, Sara Coella, Johnson Huynh, Jessica Driver, Joshus Kegeris and Catherine Helm.
• North Hills Christian School: 16 diplomas were awarded May 26. Speakers were salutatorian Avery McGrail, valedictorian Jordan Plummer and the Rev. John Pless, retired Lutheran minister and author of “How Sweet the Sound.” Junior marshals were Catherine Johnson and Dean Gilmore.
• Rowan County Homeschool Association: 21 diplomas were awarded May 20.
• Gray Stone Day School: 97 diplomas were awarded June 2. Student speakers were Dmity Tereshenko, William Nicks and Maria Kanawati. Junior marshals were Ellyson Burks, Brooke Burris, Nicola Chloe, Casey Kruger, Isabel McLeod, Ivy Overcash, Connor Rokos, Nicholas Rokos, Joshua Irving, Miriam Roy, Mary Elliot and Emma Milem. The speaker was Tim Crothers, a former senior writer for Sports Illustrated who is a journalism professor and author.
• Rockwell Christian School: Seven diplomas were awarded May 27. Speakers were salutatorian Jennifer Miller, valedictorian Joel Patil and Pastor Joel Hiatt, former varsity boys basketball coach. Junior marshals were Devon Ballard, Michael Hoehman and Austin Teodorovici.