Police: Man wanted for murder of Timothy Grady surrenders, arrested at East Lafayette apartment

Published 12:23 am Thursday, June 1, 2017

By Shavonne Walker


SALISBURY — A Salisbury man wanted in the Saturday murder of 34-year-old Timothy Lee Grady walked out of an East Lafayette Street apartment surrendered after police and SBI agents surrounded the building. Salisbury Police arrested and charged Frankie Eugene Cox Jr., 31, of 503 N. Ellis St. Wednesday afternoon.

Police investigators received information that Cox was still in the city, specifically in the area of East Lafayette Street, said Salisbury Police Deputy Chief Shon Barnes.

“So the officers, with the intelligence that they had, surrounded the building and called in some of our special response team, including some of our negotiators in an attempt to try to get the suspect to give himself up voluntarily,” Barnes said.

Police made sure the area residents in nearby apartments were out of danger since some people began coming outside to see what was going on, he said.

Officers made an announcement via a bullhorn and waited about 30 minutes and Cox gave himself up.

Officers dressed in tactical gear stood across from the apartment building, which sits at the corner of East Lafayette Street and Lafayette Circle after the situation had concluded. School buses and other cars had to detour while police blocked the area where the apartment was located. Police obtained a search warrant for the apartment went inside and came out with a small brown paper bag of evidence.

Police said on Saturday Cox and Grady, of Greensboro, got into an argument and it ended in the shooting of Timothy Lee Grady. Police responded to Cox’s North Ellis Street apartment where they found Grady dead. Police said the two were acquaintances.

Barnes said the outcome is how they want to end a situation like this, “as peacefully as possible.”

“It’s a good day when we can end an incident and nobody gets hurt. It’s a good day for the entire community actually,” Barnes said.

The operation had been going on all day, but police arrived to apartment 905 sometime around 2 p.m. and within half an hour Cox was in custody.

Cox was placed in the Rowan County Detention Center without bond. His first court appearance is scheduled for today.

Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.