Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Local authorities held a press conference Wednesday announcing their latest tool to catch the killer of 7-year-old A’yanna Allen, who was shot in her sleep Dec. 4 when the Salisbury home she was staying in was sprayed with bullets. What does law enforcement hope leads to an arrest in the case?
A. A constant campaign on social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
B. A special SBI task force devoted to the solving of this case
C. A billboard with A’yanna’s picture that also offers a $20,000 reward for information leading to an arrest
D. A street-by-street canvassing of neighborhoods to conduct interviews and find new leads
2. David Karczewski, a Spencer man with multiple sclerosis, plans to seek a stem cell replacement therapy to help with his disease, but he must go to another country where the treatment is approved and available for MS patients. Where will Karczewski travel to in July?
3. According to recently released 2016 Census numbers, which of these towns or cities grew the most (by 10.7 percent) since 2010?
C. Granite Quarry
D. China Grove
4. Of the following, which Rowan County town had an estimated 2016 population of 4,216?
C. China Grove
5. State Sen.Tom McInnis, R-Rockingham, said he was “tickled to death” that a bill for which he was the primary sponsor has been signed into law by Gov. Roy Cooper. The bill allows N.C. restaurants to do what?
A. Serve moonshine that’s approved by the state Alcoholic Beverage Control board.
B. Be open on Sundays beyond 10 p.m.
C. Grill outdoors
D. Give certain foods that are older than one day to homeless shelters
6. Starting in the fall, Catawba College will be offering a new bachelor of science program in what field?
D. Nuclear science
7. East Rowan High students Hunter Harwood of Gold Hill and Paiton File of Salisbury teamed up to win the state high school tournament championship in what?
D. Brick laying
8. A new exhibit at the Price of Freedom Museum, located in the old Patterson School, is set to be unveiled to the public this coming weekend during the museum’s D-Day Remembrance event. What is the new exhibit?
A. A room devoted to the Coast Guard
B. A former principal’s office devoted to the Civil War.
C. The former school kitchen, now partitioned off into a three-room house showing what a rural home looked like around World War II
D. An outside patio area devoted to military motorcycles
9. The Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education decided teachers should have a weekly average of how much planning time in the 2017-2018 school year?
A. 45 minutes
B. 90 minutes
C. Three hours
D. Five hours
10. Under one proposal, the city of Salisbury would do what in connection with Downtown Salisbury Inc. ?
A. Abolish it
B. Make the executive director a city employee
C. Decrease the municipal service district tax that mostly pays for DSI
D. Require DSI to organize at least two street festivals (spring and fall ) a year.
By Mark Wineka email@example.com SALISBURY — In the past two years, it seems as though any project Historic Salisbury Foundation... read more