Top that: Workers repair finials atop historic Bell Tower in downtown Salisbury
Alfred Wilson and his crew needed a 124-foot-tall lift to place three finials on the peaks of the smaller pinnacles of the historic Bell Tower in downtown Salisbury on May 4.
The brick and stone tower is all that remains of the First Presbyterian Church built in 1892 at West Innes and Jackson streets. The congregation had the old church razed in 1971 and built a new sanctuary in the next block of Innes.
Wilson and crew caulked hard-to-reach areas on the exterior of the downtown landmark. There was more work to be done, but most of it was closer to the ground.
Salisbury Post photographer Jon C. Lakey captured images of the work from a perch high atop the lift.