Game Plan for Life programs on alcohol use coming to local high schools
SALISBURY — Next week, Game Plan for Life will tour local high schools and challenge students to think critically about their choices and how one decision can affect their future.
According to Game Plan for Life, students in North Carolina typically will have their first drink by the age of 14. But 94 percent of students say that underage drinking is a problem, and eight out of 10 middle school students say that if their parents had spoken to them more often about underage drinking it would help solve the problem.
Game Plan for Life, now in its 15th year, brings motivational speakers to schools to discourage underage drinking and share stories about overcoming adversity.
Speakers include sports stars like Al Wood, a former basketball player for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who went on to play in the NBA, and local community activist Alex Clark. Past speakers have included Jerome Harrison, a former running back for the NFL.
They share stories of their struggles and how their lives or the lives of friends and family had been affected by alcohol and bad choices. In an October session, Wood said the program lets students learn life lessons from people who have experienced struggles.
The Rowan/Kannapolis ABC Board, Rowan County Sheriff’s Office and Salisbury Police Department are working together to bring the program to Rowan-Salisbury Schools.
Families and the public are invited to attend. For more information, contact Nanette Dillon at 313-610-7705 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The schedule for high school visits is:
• A.L. Brown High School: Ninth through 12th grade, 2:15-3:15 p.m. Monday Speakers are Al Wood and Quentin Williams.
• Carson High School: Ninth and 10th grade, 9-10 a.m. Tuesday. Speakers are Wood and Chris Washburn.
• East Rowan High School: Ninth and 10th grade, 1-2 p.m. Tuesday. Speakers are Wood and Mike Hall.
• North Rowan High School: Ninth grade, 9-10 a.m. Wednesday. Speakers are Wood and Phil Ford.
• Salisbury High School: Ninth through 12th grade, 1-2 p.m. Wednesday. Speakers are Wood and Ford.
• Henderson Independent High School: Ninth through 12th grade, 2:30-3:30 p.m. Wednesday. Speakers are Wood and Alex Clark.
• West Rowan High School: Ninth grade, 9-10 a.m. April 27. Speakers are Wood and Ford.
• South Rowan High School: 11th and 12th grade, 1-2 p.m. April 27. Speakers are Wood and Ford.