Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Hurley Park, a passive garden park stretching between City Park and Novant Health Rowan Medical Center, is holding its 30th spring celebration this afternoon. Which Hurley is the park named for?
A. Fred Hurley
B. Haden Hurley
C. Elizabeth Hurley
D. Gordon Hurley
2. Three of Rowan County’s four lawmakers in the General Assembly voted Thursday against the repeal of House Bill 2, also known as the “bathroom bill” related to transgender rights. Who was the lone Rowan legislator who voted for the bathroom bill’s repeal?
A. Sen. Tom McInnis
B. Sen. Andrew Brock
C. Rep. Harry Warren
D. Rep. Carl Ford
3. Salisbury High School graduate Kevin T. Carroll, an actor, presently has a reoccurring role on what ABC television series?
A. “The Middle”
B. “Last Man Standing”
C. “The Catch”
4. Over spring break, a group of students and chaperones from Catawba College visited London and other parts of England, including Salisbury. They learned German pilots during World War II were instructed not to bomb the Salisbury Cathedral. Why?
A. It’s where Hitler wanted to establish the Church of Deutschland after victory
B. The cathedral had the tallest church spire in England, and German bombers used it as a guiding marker for their routes to London
C. Hitler envisioned his eventual coronation as king of Europe in the cathedral
D. Hitler had a no-bomb rule on any church outside of London
5. McKenzie Stevens, a 2014 Salisbury High graduate, is an 11-time All-America in swimming who has now been part of three straight national championships for what university?
A. Queens University
B. High Point University
C. Oglethorpe University
D. Slippery Rock University
6. Since 2008, guests of the Rowan Helping Ministries shelter who are enrolled in the New Tomorrows program volunteer to paint, decorate and name seven items which are then auctioned off at the annual Pass the Plate fundraiser. What are these seven items?
A. Dinner plates
B. Flower pots
C. Beach umbrellas
7. Gabrielle L. Brown of Salisbury won the Winston-Salem Journal’s Regional Spelling Bee meaning she will now move on to the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C. What word did Gabrielle have to spell to win the regional spelling bee?
8. According to the latest Census figures from 2016, where does Rowan County rank in population among the five counties of Rowan, Davie, Iredell, Cabarrus and Davidson?
9. Rick Godby won a contest sponsored by the Salisbury Homebrewers Club that means New Sarum Brewery will produce a limited supply of his beer for its upcoming one-year anniversary celebration. What was Godby’s winning entry?
A. Honey basil ale
B. Mosaic rasin porter
C. Carolina malt IPA
D. Krispy Kreme stout
10. A benefit was held Saturday at the Kannapolis Moose Lodge for Bobby Wise, a construction foreman and longtime performer on the local music scene. Wise suffered a serious stroke in December, and his insurance benefits for continuing therapy are running out. What instrument is Wise known for playing?
A. Bass guitar
D. Organ (keyboards)
SALISBURY — You might say it was a lobby for the best kind of lobbyists. Friday the Community Care Clinic,... read more