Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. The city of Kannapolis has plans to build a new downtown baseball stadium by 2020 for the Intimidators minor league team. Which of the following has not been proposed as an idea for the present stadium off Lane Street.
A. A Carolinas Six Flags Amusement Park
B. An office park
C. A continued venue for baseball and softball tournaments
D. A corporate headquarters site
2. Charlotte Corriher, a 1986 graduate of South Rowan High School, ran her 100th marathon Saturday. Corriher is known for running her marathons in costumes made by whom?
A. Her mother
B. Her father
C. Her sister
D. Her brother
3. St. John’s Lutheran Church has installed 199 solar panels on the roofs of its educational and office buildings. The panels will provide what minimum percentage of the church’s energy needs?
A. 30 percent
B. 50 percent
C. 70 percent
D. 90 percent
4. A Salisbury woman was charged with second-degree murder this past week for causing the death of a 19-year-old Fayetteville teen in January. The woman is accused of injecting the teen with what?
A. Airplane glue
B. Rat poison
5. A new Fox television series, part of which was filmed in Rowan, Cabarrus, Mecklenburg and Iredell counties, debuted this past Wednesday night. What is the name of this Fox series?
B. “All Bets Are Off”
C. “Shots Fired”
D. “Southern Fried”
6. According to Salisbury City Manager Lane Bailey, how many businesses are still in the running to buy, lease or manage Fibrant, the city’s cable utility?
7. Rowan-Salisbury Schools and its Board of Education were recently ranked among the Top 10 national leaders in what?
A. In providing school lunches to needy students
B. In providing vocational opportunities to students not in a college-preparation curriculum
C. In the use of technology for student success
D. In providing sports opportunities for female students
8. At its annual planning retreat Thursday, Salisbury City Council endorsed 15 percent pay raises for most police officers. What’s the current starting salary for a new Salisbury Police officer?
9. Arguments were held Wednesday in the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond related to Rowan County’s prayer lawsuit, in which three residents have challenged whether county commissioners can offer sectarian prayers at the start of their meetings. How many judges sat on that Court of Appeals panel?
10. Rowan County has received a $265,000 state parks and recreation grant to renovate a playground at what county park facility?
A. Ellis Park
B. Sloan Park
C. Baker Street Park
D. Dan Nicholas Park
SALISBURY — The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office charged a Stokes Ferry Road man with second-degree arson after a domestic incident Friday... read more