Christmas Happiness: In honor of lost family
SALISBURY — For the past three years, Joyce Plyler has been giving to Christmas Happiness in honor of her husband, Wallace Plyler.
Until Wallace passed, the couple had been giving to Christmas Happiness for at least 30 years. According to Joyce, her husband was fond of saying that their three sons always got what they needed.
“But not all children even get what they need,” she said.
When she and Wallace were younger, people didn’t talk about poverty or children in need. But that began to change, and the couple chose Christmas Happiness.
“It just seemed so worthwhile, and there were so many needy children,” she said.
When Wallace’s mother died, and Joyce’s mother died, the couple began giving in honor of them. After Wallace’s death, Joyce added his name to the list.
Joyce said she couldn’t have gotten through the past three years without her sons and her five “wonderful” granddaughters.
“And it just seems a very important thing to spread it out,” she said.
- Circle #6 First UCC $100
- Primetimers-First United Church of Christ $50
- In memory of Poppy, Mama Dot and Mini and in honor of Haileigh, Carolina, Victoria, Natalie and Sofia $50
- In honor of Kathryn, David, Christopher, and Tanner by Gran and Granddaddy $100
- In honor of Great and Charles Connor $40
- In memory of Earline Ayars $50
- Canterbury Book Club $100
- Anonymous $25
- In honor of our children and grandchildren by Brent and Ruby Watson $50
- In memory of Earl C. Alexander by Carolyn Alexander $100
- In honor of The Friday Group, Sue H., Geradline H., Patty C. and Caren H. by Ebbie $100
- In loving memory of Blanche, Quiller, Mable, Bud, Margie, Smit, Marie and Rob $100
- In memory of Phil and Barry Herion, Allen Vallandingham, Grace Kluttz, Christine and Kim Gheen by Betty Herion $100
- In memory of Allen Vallandingham by Patti Vallandingham $40