Christmas Happiness — in honor of 94-year-old mother
By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — Robert and Sandra Cobb have given to the Christmas Happiness Fund, but have always earmarked their donation with just their contribution and their own names. This year, they decided to change it up. The couple wanted give in honor of Sandra’s mother, Alda Davies.
The 94-year-old Davies is a Rowan transplant, but has lived in the community for 17 years where she was a homemaker. Her husband died 10 years ago.
“The money goes to the needy children,” Sandra said.
She said her mother has had a number of health issues including three strokes. She lives at the Lutheran Home.
Davies is a crafter, Sandra said, and she sews.
Many of her mother’s crafts including homemade cards and right now she is making Christmas ornaments.
The couple also gives donations to the Salvation Army and Nazareth Children’s Home.
The donations to the Christmas Happiness Fund come from people in the community like the Carsons who earmark their gift in memory or honor of someone. Donations are brought to the Salisbury Post during business hours. The money is then given to the Salvation Army of Rowan County to distribute to eligible families.
Contributions to Christmas Happiness may be delivered to the Salisbury Post, 131 W. Innes St., between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays or mailed to Salisbury Post Christmas Happiness Fund, P.O. Box 4639, Salisbury, N.C. 28145-4639. Please make checks payable to Christmas Happiness Fund and indicate how you want your donation listed.
Today’s contributions are:
- In loving memory of Jane Benton Kale, Mr. and Mrs. Don Benton and Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Gaskey by Keith and Darlene Kale and Vickie Bean $100
- Fred and Alice Stanback $1,000
- In memory of Henry Bernhardt by his loving family $100
- In loving memory of Tom McDaniel by Peggy C. McDaniel $100
- In memory of Eddie Grissom by Georgette and Conan Thompson $250
- In honor of our teachers: Suzanne Deal, Melinda Wells, Judy Lefler, Harriet Fisher and Carol Harper by the Brownie Fisher Class at St. Luke’s Reformed Church $50
- In honor of Jesus Christ, Our Savior $100
- In memory of Gladys Van Poole by Becky, Kevin, Kelly and Kim $50
- In loving memory of Bill and Billy Cohen by Ruby $200
- In honor of teachers: Evelyn Eller, Melva Menius, Maggie Boreman by Ladies Bible Class of Providence UM Church $25
- In memory of Esther Morgan Fine, Buddy Catoe and Thomas and Melinda Morgan by John and Betty McHone $20
- In memory of Coy and Ethel Cranford and Sheila Christie and in honor of Charles S. Spry by John and Betty McHone $20
- Delta XI Omega Chapter $10
- Windsor and Kathy Eagle $100
- Ken and Gloria Cartrett $100
- In honor of our friendship by Lonzo, Martha, Terry and Beth $50
- Anonymous $100
- In honor of my eight grandchildren: Michael, Jessie, Nathan, Dylan, Cory, Aubrey, Lucas and Justin by Carol Pomery $100
- In honor of Macy, Grant, Tim, Branson, Brody, Spencer and Clayton by The Hellards $200
- In memory of Cecil Mulkey by Terry and Sheila Mulkey $100
- In honor of Alda Davies by Robert and Sandra Cobb $200
- In memory of Karen Morris by Ron W. Morris $100