Blotter: Inmate charged with assaulting officer in county jail
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, November 30, 2016
SALISBURY — Freeman Payton, an inmate in the Rowan County Detention Center, faces extra charges after the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reported that he assaulted Detention Officer K. Peoples.
According to reports, Payton punched and kicked Peoples, who received an abrasion on his right arm and redness to his face and neck area. Payton was serving charges for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and for breaking and entering.
He has now received an additional charge of felony assault on a law enforcement officer, and has received an additional $5,000 secured bond.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A Friend Indeed Check Cashing reported a fraud by false pretense on Nov. 23.
• A woman in the 100 block of Highland Park Drive reported Nov. 23 that a dog was stolen from the property.
• Carolina Fire Control reported on Nov. 23 that items were stolen from a car.
• A man in the 100 block of Rutledge St., China Grove, reported a credit card fraud Friday.
• A man in the 200 block of Springway Lane, Cleveland, reported Friday that a couch was taken from his front porch.
• A woman in the 2600 block of Airport Road reported a worthless check on Friday.
• A woman in the 2100 block of Airport Road reported a simple assault Friday.
• Speedway on Peeler Road reported the attempted use of a counterfeit bill Friday.
• Cheerwine Bottling Co. reported Saturday that several vending machines had been broken into in the 300 block of Leach Road.
• A man reported an assault with a dangerous weapon in the 1100 block of Conestoga Trail Friday. According to the Sheriff’s Office, the dispute began over a cellphone, and the case was closed unfounded.
• Deputies are investigating a possible arson in the 7000 block of N.C. 801, Mount Ulla, after a storage facility caught fire under suspicious circumstances.
• A woman reported an assault and larceny Sunday in the 300 block of Adolphus Road.
• A woman reported an assault Sunday in the 4400 block of Stokes Ferry Road.
• Carol Ruth Nelson, 57, was charged on Nov. 23 with felony flee to elude.
• Jason Andrew Long, 35, was charged on Nov. 23 with carrying concealed weapons. The firearm was turned over to the Sheriff’s Office for destruction.
• Jaris Ambrose Stoddard, 31, was charged Thursday with assault on a female.
• Carmone Cleo Carpenter, 29, was charged Thursday with possession of stolen property.
• April White Joyner, 49, was charged Thursday with resist, delay and obstructing a public officer.
• Claymore Christopher Jones, 24, was charged Friday with larceny.
• Kayla Michelle Casico, 22, was charged Saturday in the 2800 block of N. Cannon Blvd., Kannapolis, with possession of a schedule VI controlled substance.
• James Lee Barnes, 33, was charged Saturday in the 1000 block of Edgefield Drive with possession of drug paraphernalia.
• Crystal Diane Martin, 28, was charged Saturday in the 300 block of Wingate Lane, Rockwell, with possession of a schedule I controlled substance.
• Lisa Kay Honeycutt, 43, was charged Saturday on Wingate Lane, Rockwell, with possession of a schedule II controlled substance.
• Donte Jamal Blakeney, 26, was charged Saturday with trafficking heroin or opium.
• Bobby Joe Robbins, 30, was charged Saturday in the 8000 block of Longbriar Drive, Kannapolis with simple assault.
In Salisbury Police Department reports:
• A larceny was reported Saturday in the 2000 block of Statesville Blvd.
• An assault and purse snatching was reported Saturday at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center.
• A burglary was reported Sunday in the 100 block of Polo Drive.
• A larceny was reported Monday in the 500 block of W. Jake Alexander Blvd.
• Jeffrey Scott Thrift was charged Monday in the 400 block of W. Jake Alexander Blvd with larceny.
• David Antonio Wilson was charged Monday at the intersection of Lincolnton Road and New Street with possession of a schedule VI controlled substance.
• Joseph Orland Murdoch was charged Tuesday in the 2400 block of Statesville Blvd. with larceny.
• Katelyn Elizabeth Freeze and Rusty Dale Ray Propst were charged Monday in the 600 block of Franklin St. with breaking and entering.