16 sick from carbon monoxide
About carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide, or “CO,” is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you.
Where is CO found?
CO is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.
What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.
— Centers for Disease Control
SALISBURY — A generator brought inside to heat a Lloyd Street house appears to be behind the carbon monoxide poisoning of 16 people.
Seven people were taken by helicopter Tuesday to Duke Medical Center to receive treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning, and eight were treated at Novant Health Rowan, according to WBTV News.
One person was treated at the scene.
The situation was discovered Tuesday afternoon when four people went to the Emergency Department at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center complaining of dizziness and other symptoms similar to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.
The patients were evaluated and the Salisbury Fire Department was called to check the home 204 Lloyd Street, WBTV reported.
Firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide in the house and discovered that a portable generator was running inside. Generators produce carbon monoxide gas. The home had no electricity, officials told WBTV.
More people went to Novant Health Rowan Medical with the same symptoms later in the day, and all said they had been inside the same house at some time Tuesday.
The Centers for Disease Control advises never to use a generator inside your home or garage, even if doors and windows are open. Only use generators outside, more than 20 feet away from your home, doors and windows.
By Josh Bergeron email@example.com SALISBURY — Not satisfied with breaking an early voting turnout record, Rowan County made history in another... read more