Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Rowan County’s rebranding campaign offers up a slogan or theme. What is it?
A. Building community one step at a time
B. Be an original
C. Kind of country, kind of cool
D. Our story always has a future
2. There has been $500,000 earmarked toward the county’s rebranding. Where will that money come from?
A. A grant from the Blanche & Julian Robertson Family Foundation.
B. Hotel occupancy taxes
C. Rowan County’s fund balance
D. A temporary one-cent sales tax
3. The Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education has agreed to sell the system’s former administrative offices on North Long Street in East Spencer to whom?
A. The Paul L. Dunbar Association
B. The town of East Spencer
C. The Essie Mae Kiser Foxx Charter
D. The Salisbury-Rowan Economic Development Commission
4. West Rowan High School’s Austin Love, a senior pitcher for the baseball team, signed this past week to play with what Atlantic Coast Conference school?
A. N.C. State
B. Wake Forest
D. North Carolina
5. The N.C. Society of Historians recently recognized Ed and Sue Curtis as joint winners of its Historian of the Year Award. The Curtises organize a symposium every year centered on what?
A. The Salisbury Confederate Prison
B. The Great Depression in North Carolina
C. North Carolina cotton mills of the 20th century
D. Civil rights after the Civil War
6. Salisbury High School graduate Doug Rizeakos moved to Los Angeles in February and is working for whom?
A. The Los Angeles Dodgers
B. The Hollywood Bowl
C. Paramount Studios
D. DreamWorks Animation
7. Which recent candidate for the Rowan County Board of Commissioners raised the most money for the local campaign?
A. Craig Pierce
B. Mike Caskey
C. Veleria Levy
D. Mark Lyerly
8. When the General Assembly convenes in Raleigh in January, state Rep. Harry Warren, R-N.C., has expressed an interest in what position?
A. House speaker
B. Chairmanship of the Budget Committee
C. Majority whip
D. Chairmanship of the Utilities Commission
9. In light of the Nov. 3 officer-involved shooting that resulted in the death of Ferguson Laurent, Salisbury City Council is looking closely at the merits of what in the Police Department?
A. The use of body cameras
B. The use of cameras in patrol cars
C. The serving of no-knock warrants
D. The regular reliance on stop-and-frisk methods
10. Who is the Salisbury attorney who received the John B. McMillan Distinguished Service Award from the N.C. State Bar?
A. Bill Kenerly
B. John Holshouser
C. Chip Short
D. Cecil Whitley
GRANITE QUARRY — In December 2014, while he was shopping for Christmas at Concord Mills, John Cannon received one of... read more