Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. In response to the flood devastation spawned by Hurricane Matthew, members of Salisbury and Locke fire departments headed east to help relief efforts in what N.C. county?
2. For 50 years, Leroy Sellers has been a steadfast performer for what Rowan County arts group?
A. Piedmont Players
B. St. Thomas Players
C. The Rowan County Puppet Theatre
D. Salisbury Symphony
3. The founding of the Hudson-Miller-Tatum VFW Post 3006 in Salisbury dates closest to what historic event?
A. The attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941
B. The bombing of Hiroshima in 1945
C. The killing of four Kent State University students in 1970
D. The resignation of President Nixon in 1974
4. This past week, Carson High girls won the school’s first county championship in this particular sport. What was it?
B. Cross country
5. This weekend, Livingstone College celebrated the 50th anniversary of what school organization?
A. The Livingstone Teachers Union
B. The Blue Bear Marching Band
C. The Livingstone History Club
D. The Livingstone Peace Forum
6. St. John’s Lutheran in Salisbury was among churches in 100 different cities around the country that joined a live video feed discussing issues such as the election, race and divisions in the United States. What was the name of this program?
A. Listen in, Talk Back
B. Q Commons
C. Church Key
D. One Nation Under God
7. Food Lion recently completed renovations to 142 stores in its greater Charlotte market. How much did the Salisbury-based company invest in these changes?
A. $110 million
B. $215 million
C. $376 million
D. $427 million
8. Grace Lutheran Church’s annual fish fry, which helped in raising money for 3-year-old Austin Mowry, who is fighting cancer, included something this year that Austin especially enjoyed. What was it?
A. Pony rides
B. Dog show
C. Tractor show
9. At the Granite Quarry Civitans Fiddlers Convention, what young performer was named the first winner of the Don & Margaret Livengood Memorial Award for Excellence in Bluegrass Music?
A. Teddy Smoker
B. Gabe Bemus
C. Will Palmer
D. John Lee
10. Asheville sculptor Robert Winkler has won Best in Show in the 2016 Salisbury Sculpture Show, which has 18 pieces on display in the downtown and on three college campuses. Where is Winkler’s winning piece, which is titled “Moving Along”?
A. Near the Student Union building on the Catawba College campus
B. On the 200 block of South Main Street near the Meroney Theater
C. In the 300 block of East Innes Street near Robertson Gateway Park
D. In the 100 block of North Lee Street near the Visitors’ Center
By Mark Wineka firstname.lastname@example.org SALISBURY — A pair of Community Voters Project workers were fired Tuesday after complaints they were... read more