• 50°

Fire department responds to smoke filled Clancy Street home

By Shavonne Walker

shavonne.walker@salisburypost.com

SALISBURY — Salisbury firefighters responded to a Clancy Street home when the homeowner spotted smoke after turning on the heating unit for the first time this season. Fire officials say the cause was actually an electrical issue.

Smoke was spotted just before 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at 227 Clancy St., a block from Clancy Hills Apartments.

Fire Battalion Chief David Morris said fire crews initially believed the heating unit was causing the smoke since the homeowner told them she’d just turned the heat on for the first time this fall. The smoke was the result of a malfunctioning electrical outlet.

“She said she saw a haze in the house,” Morris said.

She contacted the fire department, and he said it was good that she did.

Morris said oftentimes when the seasons change and homeowners turn on their heating units for the first time there can be a burning smell and sometimes light smoke. He said the smoke and burning smell comes from the dust heating up on the coils of the unit.

He advises anyone who sees or smells any smoke to call the fire department if they are concerned. He said it’s better that a fire crew responds and it be nothing than it develop int a potential house fire.

Salisbury and Locke fire departments responded.

Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.

Comments

Local

Ask Us: When will Rowan Public Library’s West Branch open?

Nation/World

Prosecution case nears end in ex-cop’s trial in Floyd death

Nation/World

Officer accused of force in stop of Black Army officer fired

Crime

Blotter: Man charged with hitting man with car, fleeing while intoxicated

Local

‘Meet the need’: Rowan County Health Department looks to add to vaccination options

Local

Seaford is first woman in county hired for town manager position since the ’90s

Local

Colonial Spring Frolic makes a comeback to kick off museum’s year

Local

Concord City Council wants to name bridge for fallen officer, Rowan native

Education

RSS administration will recommend selling Faith Elementary property to charter school

Business

Inspired by advice from father-in-law, Angela Mills launches her own business in memory of him

Local

Rowan County Democrats re-elect leaders, pass resolutions

Local

Baseball: Memories come alive in Ferebee book

Local

During Child Abuse Prevention Month, professionals reflect on detecting abuse in a virtual world

Business

Biz Roundup: Small Business Center announces spring slate of workshop for business owners

Clubs

Kiwanis Pancake Festival starts Friday

Local

Rowan fire marshal seeks to clear up confusion, worry caused by solicitation letter

Education

Fun every day: Fifth anniversary for Yadkin Path Montessori School

Nation/World

Charles: Royal family ‘deeply grateful’ for support for Philip

News

North Carolina sites to resume J&J vaccines after CDC review

News

Cooper OKs bill offering K-12 students summer school option

High School

High school football: Playoff time means get ready for ‘big-boy football’

High School

High school football: Hornets overpower South to secure playoff spot

Crime

Jeffrey MacDonald won’t be released despite deteriorating health

Business

Amazon warehouse workers reject union in Alabama