Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Salisbury city employees recently won a bet over Rowan County employees when they showed a bigger percentage increase in giving for this year’s United Way drive. To pay off the bet, the county had to do what for city employees?
A. Serve them ice cream
B. Make them breakfast
C. Wash their cars
D. Deliver pizza to their workplaces
2. Two groups recently gave their candidate endorsements for the Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education and drew the ire of candidates who were not endorsed. Who were the groups who gave the endorsements?
A. The Rowan Republican and Rowan Democratic parties
B. The Rowan Teachers Association and the Rowan Librarians Club
C. The Rowan County Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Salisbury Inc.
D. The Rowan Employees Association and Rowan Future Farmers of America
3. What is the name of Salisbury’s newest brewery?
A. Fish Head Brewery and Skins
B. Matthew Rowan’s Beer and Steer on Innes
C. Morgan Ridge Rail Walk Brewery & Eatery
D. The Train Station
4. The Rowan County Church League, which has 17 teams playing golf over the spring and summer, raised $3,466 for Rowan Helping Ministries and Rowan Hospice & Palliative Care. Which church won the league title this year?
A. The Lake Community Church
B. First United Methodist Church of Salisbury
C. Living Water Church of God
D. South China Grove Baptist Church
5. In Salisbury, what was the Empire Hotel’s best known name before it became the Empire?
A. The National
B. Boyden House
C. The Manse
D. The Alexander
6. Before closing for the season, the city’s Fred M. Evans Pool held a special swimming day exclusively for whom?
A. Grandmas and their grandchildren 3 and under
B. Grandpas and their grandsons 5 and younger
D. Church ministers
7. Recent East Rowan High graduate Taylor Kirk, who was born was spina bifida, died Sept. 11 of a blood infection. Taylor was a three-time state champion in what wheelchair sport?
C. Shot put
D. 100-yard sprint
8. C. Michael Briggs of Greensboro has published a new book looking into the history of what Rowan County product?
A. Stanback Headache Powder
9. Which Donald Trump relative made an appearance this past week in Salisbury?
A. Son in-law Jared Kushner
B. Son Donald Trump Jr.
C. Daughter Ivanka Trump
D. Daughter-in-law Lara Trump
10. Architect Charles H. Kahn, who is 90 and lives in Chapel Hill, has strong connections to Salisbury, where his late mother and father, Ben and Dorothy Kahn, were well known in the community. What noteworthy North Carolina sports venue did Kahn play a significant role in designing?
A. The Dean Smith Center (Dean Dome) at the University fo North Carolina
B. Kenan Stadium at UNC
C. Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke University
D. Carter-Finley Stadium at N.C. State University
SALISBURY — Architect Charles H. Kahn always identifies Salisbury as his N.C. hometown. At first blush, this is surprising. Kahn... read more