Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Rowan-Salisbury Schools headed toward Monday’s first day of school with a considerable number of teacher vacancies. How many?
2. Gray Stone Day School in Misenheimer has begun a $1.5 million capital campaign for what reason?
A. To build a new gymnasium
B. To add middle school grades
C. To pave two parking lots
D. To build a daycare center for teachers’ children
3. Jim and Susan Beard of Salisbury got caught in the recent rains and flooding in Louisiana and found themselves stranded on Interstate 12 for 22 hours. What food did the Beards have with them as their ordeal began?
B. A bag of Cheetos and six Tootsie Rolls
C. A bag of convenience store peanuts and two liters of Cheerwine
D. A half bag of Chips Ahoy cookies and four cans of Coke Zero
4. For seven straight years, revenues related to tourism have increased in Rowan County, which ranks 29th in the state out of 100 counties in total visitor spending. Which of these counties ranks ahead of Rowan in annual tourism dollars?
5. Salisbury attorney John L. Holshouser recently received The Order of the Long Leaf Pine. Which of these noteworty American figures once gave him a commendation?
A. President John F. Kennedy
B. Bill Gates
C. Astronaut Neil Armstrong
D. J. Edgar Hoover
6. When Dennis Powell of Salisbury won $4 million in the North Carolina Education Lottery’s Ruby Red 7s scratch-off game, he said his reaction to winning was what?
A. “You’ve got to be kidding me!”
B. “I’m going to Disney World!”
C. “Yee-haw! Great God Almighty!”
7. The Old Stone House in Granite Quarry will be celebrating its 250th anniversary Sept. 17. Who built Rowan County’s oldest existing house with his sons back in 1766?
A. W.B.C. Hambley
B. Christian Reid
C. Franklin Ellis
D. Michael Braun
8. Bob Carlin of Lexington will give a free concert Tuesday night at the Rowan Public Library. What instrument will Carlin be playing?
C. 12-string guitar
9. After 52 years, Shoaf’s Wagon Wheel on U.S. 601 held its last dance Saturday night. What was the original name for the Wagon Wheel?
A. Fred’s Country Dance Hall
B. Jim’s Barn Dance
C. Bob’s Square Dance
D. Tom’s Turkey Trot
10. Downtown Salisbury held its third annual College Night Out this past Thursday and the activities included a dunking booth. Who volunteered to sit in the dunking booth?
A. Catawba College football players
B. Livingstone College band members
C. Catawba College professors
D. Livingstone College cheerleaders
SALISBURY — Historic Salisbury Foundation says a 1922 West Thomas Street home, which only recently has been uncovered from years... read more