Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Outside the Charlotte Convention Center Thursday night, protesters of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump wore Donald Duck suits and held signs that said “Donald Ducks” what?
A. Paying Back His Creditors
B. Releasing His Tax Returns
C. His Failed Business Ventures
D. His Brands Made Overseas
2. Trump supporters, seeing the Donald Duck signs, shouted back a request of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton. What were they saying?
A. “Show us your emails”
B. “Go home and hold Bill’s hand”
C. “Tell us about Whitewater”
D. “Apologize for Benghazi”
3. A new restaurant is going to be built at the corner of East Innes and South Long streets in Salisbury. What will it be?
A. Another Subway
B. Another Zaxby’s
C. Another DJ’s
D. Another Jimmy John’s
4. The Rowan County American Legion baseball team reached the championship final of the Legion World Series in Shelby, but lost to a team from Texarkana, Ark. Which of the following statements is not true?
A. The game went 12 innings
B. The final score was 8-6
C. The Rowan team outhit Texarkana, 14-10
D. It was the best-ever finish for a Rowan Legion team
5. Rowan County’s 12U softball team also reached the Little League World Series championship game in Portland, Ore., before losing to a team from Texas. Which of the following statements is not true?
A. It was the third consecutive year the Rowan County team had reached the World Series championship
B. Rowan County outhit the Texas team, 8-7
C. Texarkana scored all of its runs in one inning
D. ESPN2 aired both the semifinal and championship games
6. Don and Margaret Livengood were devoted to each other for 59 years of marriage, and they died together in the same hospital room last Monday. Don was known as one of the founders and longtime organizers for what annual event?
B. Gold Hill Days
C. Cleveland Christmas Parade
D. Granite Quarry Fiddlers Convention
7. The Piedmont Research Station on Sherrills Ford Road has planted 17 acres of this crop to serve as a pollinator for honeybees, bumblebees and butterflies. What crop is it?
8. Saturday marked a benchmark anniversary for the Woodleaf Tomato Festival. How many years has Woodleaf held the event?
9. Rowan County Deputy Steven Hopkins accomplished something few law enforcement officers achieve during their careers. What was it?
A. He shot and killed a rabid coyote
B. He delivered his and his wife’s baby
C. He shot a perfect score on his marksmanship test
D. He never missed a day of work
10. An “out-of-towner,” Larry Ruddlech, recently won the NC Open Plein Air Paint Out in Rowan County. The first-place prize was $1,000. Where is Ruddlech from?
A week ago, Jim and Susan Beard of Salisbury were in a pickle. For 22 hours, they were stranded on... read more