Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:10 am Sunday, August 14, 2016
1. Tekla and Dan Howachyn are the sculptors of the new “George Washington Visits Salisbury” installation at the Rowan Museum. What N.C. city are the Howachyns from?
B. New Bern
C. Black Mountain
2. Aria Blackburn, a 9-month-old girl from Kannapolis, is suffering from an eye disease that also afflicted her father and grandfather. What is it?
D. Macular degeneration
3. One of the show-stoppers on this year’s OctoberTour promises to be the Salisbury home of former U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Hanford Dole. Dole’s grandfather, father and brother built a prominent enterprise in Salisbury and Charlotte related to what business?
A. Wholesale and retail flowers
B. Wholesale and retail auto parts
C. Wholesale and retail groceries
D. Wholesale and retail building supplies
4. Jacob Pruitt, fishing recently at Ed’s Carp Lake, compared fishing at this business enterprise off Miller Road to which popular game?
C. Table tennis
5. Which one of these state officials resigned this past week over the controversy related to coal ash ponds and whether the well water of people living near the ponds is safe to drink?
A. The state toxicologist
B. The state epidemiologist
C. The head of the Department of Health and Human Services
D. The head of the Department of Environmental Quality
6. Catawba College recently made a Forbes magazine list for the fourth straight year. What list did the school make?
A. “Best College Bargains 2016”
B. “Highest Rated Liberal Arts Colleges”
C. “Grateful Grads Index”
D. “Best Environmental Schools”
7. U.S. Army veteran and former police officer Anna Jenkins needed and received financial help this past week in paying for what?
A. A new set of braces
B. A prosthetic left arm
C. A downpayment on a house
D. The euthanasia of her service dog
8. Darrell Harwood of China Grove won a Carolina Music Award last weekend in Raleigh. Harwood received the most online votes from fans in what category?
A. Rhythm and Blues Male
B. Rock Male
C. Country Male
D. Best New Artist
9. The Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education voted this past week to pursue a site other than a Foster Road parcel for a new western Rowan elementary school. The latest place under consideration is where?
A. The current site of West Rowan High
B. The current site of West Rowan Middle
C. The current site of Woodleaf Elementary
D. The current site of Cleveland Elementary
10. Historic Preservation Partners Holdings intends to redevelop the Empire Hotel property in the 200 block of South Main Street in Salisbury. The old hotel, which dates back to the 1850s, has not been in business since what year?