Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:00 am Sunday, July 10, 2016
1. Rowan County native Paul Clark has introduced a series of children’s books that explore different cities in North Carolina, and the books’ main character is Nibbles. What kind of animal is Nibbles?
A. A mouse
B. A raccoon
C. A squirrel
D. An elephant
2. China Grove Farmers Day, to be held this coming Saturday, will have a special event to benefit local Rotary charities. What is it?
A. A rubber duck race
B. A turtle race
C. A ping pong ball drop
D. A dragon boat race
3. Dr. Matt Harrison and nurse Jeffrey Motes, both of whom work at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center, recently returned from a medical mission trip to what African country?
4. Jack Howard, who recently retired as a physics and astronomy instructor at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College, has been an enthusiastic follower of NASA’s Juno mission which sent a space probe to what planet?
5. The Rowan County Board of Commissioners has decided to seek demolition bids on what county-owned property?
A. West End Plaza
B. The former Department of Social Services headquarters on West Innes Street
C. The current terminal at the Rowan County Airport
D. The oldest exhibition building at the Rowan County Fairgrounds
6. Rowan Countians Nick Lyerly and Michael Childress finished second and fourth, respectively, in the Junior North-South Amateur tournament held at what notable golf venue?
A. Uwharrie Point
C. Quail Hollow
D. Augusta National
7. According to the N.C. Employment Security Commission, where did Rowan County’s jobless rate stand in May?
A. 5.3 percent
B. 6.7 percent
C. 8 percent
D. 9.2 percent
8. The American Red Cross in Rowan County is celebrating its 100th anniversary this month. During what time period was Salisbury native Elizabeth Hanford Dole the organization’s national president?
9. Alumni of the R.A. Clement School in Cleveland recently held a reunion picnic at the old school. The 1929 structure is historically significant as having been what?
A. The first public school for blacks in Rowan County
B. A school which produced two Nobel Prize winners in two different eras
C. A place where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke to a community gathering in 1959
D. A Rosenwald School
10. Northwest Cabarrus High and Kannapolis Legion baseball star Corey Seager had an especially good week for the Los Angeles Dodgers because he did what?
A. Hit 10 home runs in seven games
B. Pitched a no-hitter against the Baltimore Orioles
C. Made his first National League All-Star team
D. Hit grand slams on consecutive nights