Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:00 am Sunday, July 3, 2016
1. Hefner VA Medical Center employees in Salisbury staged a brief protest last Thursday morning on Brenner Avenue outside the hospital. What were they protesting?
A. Wage cuts proposed in the next federal budget
B. A continuing shift of veterans’ care to private hospitals
C. Food quality in the cafeteria
D. The transfer of 20 doctors to other VA hospitals in the Southeast
2. Both the town of East Spencer and the Paul L. Dunbar Group have expressed interest in purchasing Rowan-Salisbury Schools’ former Long Street administrative office in East Spencer. What would the Dunbar Group like to see in the building?
A. A charter school
B. A community center
C. A business incubator
3. State Sen. Fletcher Hartsell, R-Cabarrus, has been indicted on three felony counts alleging he did what?
A. Perjured himself during a civil suit two years ago
B. Took bribes from three different Cabarrus County businesses
C. Failed to report all of his income on his federal tax returns over three different years
D. Misused campaign contributions
4. The U.S. Supreme Court has denied an appeal from Sandy Parsons, father of teenager Erica Parsons, who has been missing since at least December 2011. What was Sandy Parsons trying to accomplish with his appeal to the high court?
A. A retrial, after he was found guilty in March 2015 on 43 fraud charges
B. A reduction in his eight-year sentence
C. Exoneration for his wife, Casey
D. A dismissal, based on incompetent representation
5. Rowan County Sports Hall of Famer Frank McRae passed away in June. The Rowan County standout in high school baseball, Legion baseball and basketball was part of a Wake Forest University baseball team that made history. What did it do?
A. Won the Atlantic Coast Conference championship four years in a row
B. Beat the New Yankees in an exhibition doubleheader
C. Won the College World Series in Omaha, Neb., in 1955
D. went undefeated in ACC play for two straight years
6. Salisbury artist Robert Toth made a sculptured relief for permanent display at the Rufty-Holmes Senior Center. Who was the subject of the relief?
A. Rick Eldridge
B. Ruth Booker
C. Archie Rufty
D. Haden Holmes
7. A new law went into effect in Spencer Friday. What’s the gist of this new ordinance?
A. You can’t park on Salisbury Avenue more than 30 minutes at a time
B. You can no longer leave garbage bins at the curbside more than 48 hours
C. You cannot own more than six cats within the city limits
D. You cannot tether a dog for more than two hours over any 24-hour period
8. Who plans to extend water lines to Dukeville residents whose water supply has been affected by living near Buck Steam Station’s coal ash ponds?
A. Duke Energy
B. Rowan County
C. Davidson County
9. The Faith Fourth of July celebration started in what year?
10. What organization recently sponsored the Camp Ready Kids in Kannapolis?
A. Salvation Army
B. Rowan County Emergency Services
C. American Red Cross
D. Kannapolis City Schools