• 46°

Rowan weather: Severe thunderstorm warning until 5:45 p.m.

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE SOUTHWEST PART OF ROWAN COUNTY UNTIL 5:45 P.M. ADDITIONAL WARNINGS MAY BE ISSUED.

We are in that familiar summertime pattern — hot days, a chance of thunderstorms and warm nights.

Today’s chance of storms and showers is 30 percent, mainly after 5 p.m. It will be sunny and 88, with little wind, up to 5 mph from the northeast this afternoon.

Tonight will be cloudy and 68, with a 30 percent chance of showers and storms before 3 a.m. Patchy fog possible.

Same song, second verse: Thursday will have a 30 percent chance of storms and showers, mainly after 2 p.m., It will be partly sunny and 86, with light winds in the afternoon.

Thursday night has the same chance of rain, before 11 p.m., and will be mostly cloudy with a low of 68.

Friday changes a bit — just a 20 percent chance of showers and storms in the afternoon. It will be mostly sunny and 89, with little wind. A 20 percent chance of rain Friday night, with a low of 69.

The weekend has the same theme, with a 30 percent chance of showers and storms Saturday afternoon, partly sunny skies and a high of 89. The chance of showers and thunderstorms goes up to 40 percent Saturday night, with a low of 70.

For Sunday, it’s another 40 percent chance of showers and storms, after 11 a.m.,with a high of 85 under mostly cloudy skies. The chance of rain increases to 60 percent Sunday night, with a low of 70.

For Independence Day, the high will be 88, with cloudy skies and a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Same chance of rain that night, with a low of 71.

Tuesday, we go back to a 30 percent chance of showers and storms and a high of 88 with partly sunny skies.

Comments

High School

North Rowan romps into second round of football playoffs

Nation/World

FBI had interviewed former FedEx employee who killed eight

Crime

Gastonia man sentenced for crash into restaurant that killed his daughter, daughter-in-law

Nation/World

Some call for charges after video of police shooting 13-year-old in Chicago

Business

State unemployment rate falls to 5.2% in March

Coronavirus

NASCAR approach to virus vaccine varies greatly

News

Judge rejects Cherokee challenge against new casino in Kings Mountain

Elections

Jackson tops NC Senate fundraising; Walker coffers also full

Local

Kiwanis Pankcake Festival serves thousands of flapjacks for charity

Coronavirus

Rowan remains in state’s middle, yellow tier for COVID-19 community spread

Crime

Blotter: Man faces sexual exploitation charge for images on Instagram

News

Defendant convicted in attempted murder case on the run after fleeing from trial

Business

Downtown Gateway Building to be renamed for late Paul Fisher

Coronavirus

Rowan County COVID-19 data for April 15

Local

Rep. Warren’s bill would prohibit parking in electric vehicle charging stations

Local

Historic Preservation Commission approves Integro Technologies expansion, Paint the Pavement project

Education

Faith Academy, RSS will negotiate over what goes, stays in elementary school

Crime

Teacher killed in Alamance County shootout with Mexican drug cartel

Coronavirus

Bill would give more tax breaks on COVID-19 loans

Nation/World

No response as divers knock on capsized ship’s hull

Local

Quotes of the week

Crime

Blotter: Man found on church property with litany of drugs

Crime

Man charged in connection to 2019 overdose death

Business

‘It’s our big time’: Salisbury Farmers Market reopens Saturday