Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:16 am Sunday, June 19, 2016
1. A delegation from the city of Salisbury traveled to Denver, Colo., this week to make a presentation for what purpose?
A. Establishing a sister-city relationship with Denver
B. Competition for the National Civic League’s 2016 All-America City Award
C. The 2016 National Historic Preservation Conference
D. To promote municipal broadband services
2. Because of residents’ complaints about electric bills, Landis’ proposed budget would reduce expenses by cutting police officers and firefighters. How much of a reduction is being proposed for the 2016-17 budget?
3. Dozens of antique cars converged on Salisbury this week as part of a tour promoted by the Antique Automobile Club of America. What was the oldest car taking part in the tour?
A. A 1928 Hupmobile
B. A 1935 Buick
C. A 1916 Stutz Bearcat
D. A 1938 LaSalle
4. What was the highest sealed bid offered for the former Rowan-Salisbury School System administrative building in East Spencer?
D. There were no bids
5. According to the final election results, what was the turnout of eligible voters in Rowan County for the June 7 primary?
A. 12.2 percent
B. 10.3 percent
C. 9.07 percent
D. 8.6 percent
6. Golfer Frank Adams III of Salisbury marked a milestone in his sports career this week. What made it so special for the 37-year-old?
A. He is playing in his first U.S. Open
B. He recorded a hole-in-one at Augusta National
C. He got a patent on a new putter he designed himself
D. He played a round with Jack Nicklaus
7. Preparations are under way for the third annual Rowan Chamber Dragon Boat Festival, which will be held July 30 at High Rock Lake. Where did dragon boat racing begin?
A. In Mexico, in the early 18th century
B. In Hawaii, in the 17th century
D. In Malaysia, in the 19th century
D. In ancient China more than 2,300 years ago.
8. As David Freeze embarked on his latest long-distance cycling adventure, following famed Route 66, he noted that the city of Pasadena has another claim to fame, besides hosting the annual Tournament of Roses Parade. What familiar item was first introduced in Pasadena?
A. The flyswatter
B. Soap on a rope
C. Bell-bottom jeans
D. The cheeseburger
9. The North Carolina Quarter Midget Association, based in Salisbury, held an “Arrive & Drive” event Saturday to introduce youngsters to this small-scale version of auto racing. What NASCAR star was instrumental in establishing quarter-midget racing here?
A. Richard Petty
B. Terry Labonte
C. Jeff Gordon
D. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
10. As part of county fee increases, Rowan County will increase the rate for EMS ambulance transportion. The rate, currently $7.50 per mile, will increase to what rate as of July 1?
A. $8 per mile
B. $9 per mile
C. $10 per mile
D. $11 per mile